18574Re: Octopus Hands

  • Date Saburou Yukiie
    Apr 2, 2005
      James,
      Everything you and Solvieg said is true - I just am posting a
      possible resource for people to use in what ever documents they want,
      if they can find it useful.
      I do not use the special coding in e-mails, as e-mail clients tend to
      be the most unstable of critters - I use the Wapuro way.

      I also realize that there are many different codings, and your usage
      may vary, if even at all. Some people's browsers are not set up to
      read Japanese or unicode...others do not have fonts, etc. This I
      cannot help, of course.

      Personally, I love the Kotoeri that Mac uses - especially the new and
      elegant Panther OS...I like it much better than the Windows Japanese
      IME, which is functional at best, if set up right...and a bear if not.

      The pages I put up are a set of tools - that is all - not the be-all-
      end-all swiss army web pages of web pages...but perhaps even if one
      forgets a kana, or whaever...it is there to look at.

      I do a lot of work with Chinese also, and the extra characters with
      the goofies on top (copy-righted technical term) are useful there.
      Thus their inclusion.

      Take Care.
      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu

      > Interesting, but nowadays I never see Romaji with anything strange
      but
      > dashes for long vowels sometimes. Several of my Japanese friends
      use
      > English keyboards, so they type two characters, ka for the one
      kana. The
      > few times they use Romaji, I think they just turn off the convert
      > function! If your going to put goofy characters in e-mails, why not
      just
      > send the actual kana? Or just do the wapuro thing and type your
      long
      > vowels twice?
      >
      > P.S. For some reason, my UTF-8 font won't display macrons!
      >
      > > Subject: Re: Octopus Hands Greetings from Solveig!
      > >
      > >I assume that you mean circumflex not macron.
      > >Circumflex belongs to most character sets, but
      > >macron does not.
      > >
      > Seems to be true, note above comment.
      >
      > >I believe that macrons may be available if you are using unicode.
      While unicode is built into recent operating systems, a lot of folks
      are still using pre-unicode operating systems.

      > Windows ME, pre-unicode :( Makes Open office a bit tougher to use,
      > though there is a new! DLL that's supposed to put Unicode
      compatibility
      > on 98 and ME. If there's interest I can let you know how it comes
      out.

      > >Thus, one can type â, ê, ii, ô, û and make
      > >Hepburn and all of those Anglo-American Japan
      > >scholars happy. They get quite petulent when you
      > >don't use Hepburn. However, the Japanese do not,
      > >in general, use Hepburn. Japanese mostly do
      > >"wapuro Japanese" at the moment. This makes
      > >Anglo-American Japan scholars go appoplectic, but
      > >they can pout all they like, the Japanese
      > >language does ultimately belong to the Japanese.
      > >

      > I agree!!! Lucky I'm not in academia so I can ignore that silliness
      > along with the 'official' Japanese method as well.
      >
      > >I learned wapuro Japanese in Japan via using it
      > >to type Japanese into computers for various
      > >work-related and personal purposes. At the time,
      > >some entry systems were really difficult.
      > >
      > Kindly put indeed, systems from hell come to mind. But then try to
      find
      > a setting in Windows XP without using Google. Software people
      shouldn't
      > be trusted with user interface design.
      >
      > Jim Eckman
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic