18172Speaking of O- (was: Name help)

  • Maria
    Mar 1, 2005
      Solveig wrote:

      > Late Muromachi is different. The new fashion in women's given names
      > uses an
      > O-<theme> construction. And, I believe that the name is combined with the
      > family (more accurately residence) name. The order is what you would
      > expect,
      > the given name is last.

      I do have a question about that. In watching some Japanese
      dramas/movies set in the Edo period, there seemed to be a habit where
      women's names would have the O- added to the front as a sign of respect
      (or affection??). For example, a girl named Masu was called Masu-san or
      Masu-chan by most people, but O-Masu by a guy who admired her. Or say,
      the lord's sister, Ichi, would be referred to as O-Ichi, although the
      subtitled hiragana when they introduced her simply said "Ichi". What
      was the rules of that usage, and when did that start? Is it within SCA
      period?

      A second question also: it seems like the Kyoto folk kept saying "-han"
      when the Edo people were saying "-san". Was I mishearing things, or is
      that a regional variation? (Note: didn't hear the Osaka folk saying
      "-han" so I didn't think it was Kansai-ben). When did "-san" come into
      usage? I know "-dono" and "-sama" were in use for the Good People, but
      was "-san" being used amongst the commoners at an earlier time?

      Writing from my home overlooking the Great River,

      Ki no Torahime
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic