18146Re: Name help

  • Heidi Lyn
    Mar 1, 2005
      > Noble Couisin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! According to Jeffery Mass, kuge and buke
      > women from the late Heian and Early Kamakura period tended to have
      > names of the form:
      >
      > <uji name> <personal name>
      >
      > You can insert a -no- between the two names during use, but this -no- is not
      > generally written. There is only a restricted collection of uji names to choose
      > from. During the late Heian, the most prolific and most flexible is probably
      > Fujiwara, but there are many others to choose from. Late Heian women frequently
      > had personal names ending in -ko when usining native kun'yomi readings. There
      > are other possibilities.

      I think the more I read about Japanese names, the more confused I become, but I think its
      because we are generally not talking about my time period. I would greatly appreciate a
      more knowledgable person letting me know if any (or all of) this dicussion on female
      names applies to the late Muromachi/ early Momoyama

      Thanks so much!
      Tsukime
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic