17752Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Weapon question

  • Donald Luby
    Feb 1, 2005
      On Jan 29, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
      >
      >> Does Star Wars count as documentation? I'm pretty sure that Darth Maul
      >> used a similar weapon.*
      >> http://sfstory.free.fr/images/StarWarsWallpapers/
      >> starwars1_16_1024x768.jpg
      >
      > Well, first ignore that Star Wars is about "A Long Time Ago..." (If
      > they
      > had spaceships, they could have made it to Mediaeval Europe!). Star
      > Wars
      > is the story of Darth Vader. Darth Vader's costume (and much of the
      > earlier Star Wars movies) were based on movies like "Throne of Blood".
      > "Throne of Blood" was done in the style of "Jidai-geki", or period
      > Japanese films.

      At the Star Wars exhibit at the National Air and Space museum a few
      years ago, there were the original sketches for the costumes, and the
      original Jedi outfits (only Obi-Wan in 'Star Wars', of course) were
      obviously kamishimo, to anyone who knew Japanese costuming.

      As an added datum for how much Kurosawa influenced Lucas, Alec Guiness
      was not first choice for Obi-Wan; it was Toshiro Mifune ...

      > "Jidai-geki" films cover from the beginning of Japan
      > until well-past the 1600 cutoff date, therefore it covers period.
      > Therefore... *
      >

      > -Ii
      >
      > *Note: this is joke documentation done in response to previous joke
      > documentation. Any who use this as actual documentation shall be found
      > and given long and boring lectures on the appropriateness of using Star
      > Wars to document anything--then you shall be sued for plagiarism since
      > yous shouldn't be copying someone else's documentation as your own,
      > even
      > if it is done as a joke. ;)

      Koredono
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic