17707Re: [SCA-JML] Weapon question

  • Ii Saburou
    Jan 29, 2005
      On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 sigrune@... wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > To my knowldge there is no weapon approaching a dual ended sword.
      > About as close as we come in Japanese weapons is the Naginata, which is
      > single bladed, but sometimes has either a relitively heavy weight (about
      > a half pound) on the other end, or a metal tipped point. (not sharp but
      > pointy) These prodivided counterbalance to the blade, protected the
      > shaft from splitting, gave a convienient tip to jab into the ground when
      > a spear rack was not convenient, and was a good focal point for striking
      > your opponent in strikes of opportunity, but was not the primary
      > "business end."

      In fact, the 'ishi-dzuki' as it is called, is often used in naginata kata
      to strike or jab.

      > Japanese polearm work (with the exception of the Ono type weapons) tend
      > to rely on the ability for the user to change position along the shaft
      > quickly. One can either choke up on it or go to the end to get maximum
      > reach or leverage, a dual ended sword does not fit this style.

      I would argue that you would have had techniques change to match the
      weapon, so I would disagree that the style of use of weapons in general
      would prohibit the creation of such a weapon. A better question is: Why?
      What do you believe you gain from a blade on the other end? You don't
      need a blade to strike your opponent, and I would think another blade
      would be more dangerous to the user (after all, if one is pointed at your
      opponent, make sure the other isn't pointed at you!).

      > Some people may want to point out Jo-do and the staff/stick arts of
      > Japan for emphasizing why these weapons would be practical... They
      > would not, simply because those arts as well rely on being able to use
      > the full length of a staff both as a striking surface, and as a gripping
      > surface. With these things in mind it is doubtful that the Japanese even
      > produced a single prototype for you to track down.

      Actually, even more so. Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo teaches a lot of techniques
      (almost all, that I can think of) where one or both hands cover the ends
      of the jo.

      Also, Jodo, by all accounts I've read, was developed either extremely late
      or post-period, as it is said to have been developed in response to
      Miyamoto Musashi.