17524Re: Re: Re: Heisig's Method for Learning Kanji

  • James Eckman
    Jan 4, 2005
      > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>
      >

      >E.g. 'To Kiss'--in Japanese you can say 'Kuchi(d)zukeru' but it is not the
      >same as 'to kiss', and when used in the English sense I've most often seen
      >the English ('kisu') used.

      I seem to remember period Japanese didn't kiss like Westerners, chalk up
      another one to corrupting Western influences ;) Most of our ancestors
      would not understand many of our practices either. Hollywood, tourism
      and everything else has radically changed the modern Japanese in a very
      short period of time.

      > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig! The Japanese were doing a very good job of nibbling
      >away at China until the U.S. intervened in the late 1930's early 1940's.

      Even afterwards. The current government had really lost the mandate of
      heaven!

      > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Invading Korea and China was quite rational and a far better alternative
      >than trying to follow the example of the Minamoto following the Genpei War.
      >Basically, the Japanese had raised huge armies which expected loot. Not
      >to mention the large number off defeated soldiers who needed someplace to
      >go.

      I agree, this is a very important reason. They really didn't do so badly
      except that the Japanese naval forces stunk, this is not good for over
      the water invasions.

      >Remember the Iberians were there! The Japanese constructed fairly modern
      >(for the time) vessels toward the end of the sixteenth and the begining
      >of the seventeenth centuries.

      Japanese merchant vessels (at least to 1619) were limited to 250 koku
      capacity (approx. 52.25 cubic meters). So probably about 30 feet (10
      meters) long max. Adequate but not very impressive.

      It is also known that at least one of the ships Will Adams constructed
      for Ieyasu was of "more than 100 tons" (G. Sansom, _History of Japan,
      1334-1615_, n. p. 403). A bit more impressive but later!

      According to my book on Japanese Merchant Shipping, Date Masamune
      (1566-1636) built a ship in his own fief to send to Rome. I suspect it
      was at least a partial copy of Chinese/Korean or European vessels. It
      apparently reached Mexico also! It was probably quite decent sized.

      >From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>
      >

      >If you look, there aren't easier pickings.

      Especially for a folk who weren't really great sailors.

      >Then Perry comes in his Black Ships and forcibly requires Japan to open
      >its doors. Up and coming Japanese come to the realization that the world
      >will come to them unless they learn to keep the world out, and they build
      >up a Navy and Army that are able to dominate their section of the world,
      >defeating both the Chinese and the Russians.

      In a very short period of time too! In the mid 1880's they are about on
      par with the US, which is less impressive than it sounds.

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic