17519Re: Re: Re: A thought experiment...

  • James Eckman
    Jan 3, 2005
      sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >From: "Ellen Davis" <ellen.m.davis@...>
      >

      >The pottery in question is called Valdivia ware and does bear a marked
      >similarity to certain Jomon styles from both Honshu and Kyushu.
      >
      >(Not to toot my own sho, but I wrote a paper on this whole shebang as part
      >of an American Prehistory class, and I'm posting it to the Files section
      >under "Valdivia.doc". It's a bit technical in places but I thought it might
      >be helpful and/or interesting.)

      It's cool, it's interesting.

      >From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >

      >No there are not. This is patently false. The canonical and well worn
      >example is aoi.

      Is the sea blue? That's what we in the west say even though it's more
      likely to be a yucky kind of turquoise most of the time. Color words are
      not very precise in English, or even between people with the same
      background and language.

      >I am not a subscriber to nihonron either, but the notion that Japanese and
      >English are equivalent is laughable.

      Certainly much closer than Navajo or some of the really far out tribal
      languages. I guess all those translator's out there are just ripping us
      off ;)

      >There are things which are easier and
      >more natural to express in each of these languages. Even if something can
      >be easily expressed in both languages does not mean that you will see a
      >1:1 word mapping.

      For more complex concepts that's true. Actually for pre-1900's Japan I
      would say love is tough word to translate in either direction.

      > From: "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@...>
      >

      >I'm getting an image of a man beating his head against a brick
      >wall...how many ultimately futile expeditions did the Japanese send to
      >Korea through the ages? One would guess that, with easier pickings
      >elsewhere, they might have learned to just forget Korea.

      Why are the Turks and Greeks still fighting, why did the French and
      English always fight each other? It's all part of being neighborly ;)

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic