17479Re: Re: Re: Heisig's Method for Learning Kanji

  • James Eckman
    Jan 1, 2005
      Akemashite omedetou gozaimsu!

      >From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig! Quite appart from not learning the readings which
      >is bad enough, many kanji actualy have a cluster of meanings.

      True, but every other kanji class I've ever taken or book I've read that
      is not a complete reference like Nelson's only initially teaches one
      meaning and a couple of pronunciations as well when they introduce a
      character. So every other kanji instruction book has this one
      shortcoming as well. Even Nelson's and many of the Japanese equivalents
      are inadequate because they don't show actual usage.

      Heisig's theory is that trying to learn meaning, shapes and
      pronunciation at the same time is too much for most students, volume #1
      leaves out pronunciation deliberately. It is covered in volume #2.

      >Futher, there is no reaon to expect Japanese to divide up the universe of meaning in the
      >same way that English does.

      No, but there are English equivalents for every common kanji meaning.
      The Chinese and Japanese are people from well developed societies, they
      have concepts and thoughts very similar to their Western counterparts.
      I'm not a subscriber to Nihonron or any of that silliness.

      The few like samurai require some cultural references just like knight
      would in English, but you could use knight and get some of the meaning
      of the character anyway. The Victorian translators are still readable
      with their substitutions of knight for samurai. Also anybody subscribing
      to this list, probably has a far better understanding of such references
      than even many Japanese. Most of the younger Japanese I've met are not
      into history in any big way, just like their American counterparts.

      >What I looked at online was pretty much restricted
      >to single word equivalences. Thus, for example, how are you going to master
      >the several different kanji with kunyomi "hakiru" all of which deal with
      >measuring something or other?

      Once you get to the level that you are worried about which kanji for
      "hakaru" to use, you have far outgrown any kanji course I've ever
      experienced or heard about. You need a real reading and writing course
      and access to a good Japanese dictionary for Japanese with serious
      examples of usage. Which means at that point you MUST have a basic grasp
      of kanji.

      > From: "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...>
      >
      >Greetings for Otagiri!
      >
      >New Year Resolution - complete the memorization of all of Heisig's
      >kanji in Book 1 this year. I hope to begin reading practise in a few
      >months. I am currently paging through my few kanji books to identify
      >the kanji as I learn them. Next year, I can start to learn to read out
      >loud.

      A very worthy goal. Gambaroo!!!

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic