Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

17151Re: Re: Question for the list

Expand Messages
  • James Eckman
    Dec 2, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      > From: Solveig <nostrand@...> Noble Cousin! Greetings from Solveig!
      >The first problem is your identification of shoji with screens. Although
      >there are North American screens which resemble shoji, shoji are really
      >prototypical sliding glass doors. They are not screens.
      Toshio Odate defines shoji as Japanese sliding doors and screens.
      Screens can be used to block vision as well as keep out bugs. He has
      examples of freestanding shoji in his book, which he calls shoji. Of
      course some have more specific names like naninani~shoji but shoji seems
      to be the generic name for the panel and not what its function is. For
      example, kakeshoji means hanging screen and is not any kind of door.

      >They slide in tracks. One of the simplest ways of making them is to create the wooden
      >framework which is a sort of chineese puzzle lattice and glue the paper.
      >to one size.
      I don't know if simple is a good description of this process, your
      probably more skilled at woodcraft than I am.

      >Originally, the "handles" were simply framed in boxes. Modern
      >shoji in Japan typically have mass produced inset handles.
      In the book, Odate-sensei shows a fair number of types of screens, none
      have inset handles or framed in boxes of any kind, they do have paper
      handles. This may be a modern addition.

      Jim Eckman
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic