1630[SCA-JML] Re: Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Aug 9, 2000
      Noble Baron.

      Greetings from Solveig!

      I have one or more books by Tanaka Sen'o somewhere. Or at least I
      did at one time. The basics will still be the same as they are
      governed in part by mechanics.

      For the first time in years, I have my copy of "Kama to Ro - Furo"
      available to me. The section on types of ro (hearths) correlates
      them somewhat to the size of room. I should have mentioned that
      the unryugama is used in fairly intimate tea rooms (say 4.5 mats
      and smaller). The Dairo (big ro) is 54.5 cm and is used in rooms
      of say 6 mats or larger. A standard size might be about 42.4 cm.

      The nagaro is about twice as long as a regular ro and can be
      used for cooking during the kaiseki meal. The feeling of the
      nagaro is appropriate for the depths of winter.

      The saijiki shows a picture of the unryugama in the section on
      March. So, the saijiki associates it with late Winter. I think
      that my experience with the saji with a small suspended kettle
      was in a colder month. There was snow on the ground outside as
      I recall. However, we are talking about a 4.5 mat room
      (about 10x10 or smaller) with 10 or 12 guests, a host, and a helper
      all wearing wafuku (which are quite warm) with a small fire.
      Let us say that it was cozy.

      Your Humbel Servant

      | techie.com, msn.com |