1578Re: [SCA-JML] Tatami

    Aug 1, 2000
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Danchi (housing project) tatami are the smallest. Rooms in Japan
      > are measured in terms of tatami regardless of the size of the
      > tatami in question.

      Which is a dirty trick. I took a 6-jo (six-mat) room apartment in Tokyo; I
      was surprised when I found that they were danchi tatami and not
      "regulation" tatami. It wasn't much larger than a 4 1/2-jo room.

      > If you get really into the tea aesthetic, there are different
      > size cutouts for different parts of the cold months. One
      > cutout accomodates a nagaro which is a long rectagular hearth
      > which can hold a relatively large fire.

      I've always been impressed at the tatami makers who do those tatami with
      one corner missing for the removable mat section to access the well. That's
      really a spiffy piece of work.