1577Re: [SCA-JML] Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Aug 1, 2000
      Kusunoki Sensei!

      Greetings from Solveig! The way you build shoin style Japanese
      rooms is to design them around the tatami. Get your tatami first
      and then build the room around them. The largest tatami in Japan
      are traditionally those in Kyoto. Inaka (Tokyo) tatami are smaller.
      Danchi (housing project) tatami are the smallest. Rooms in Japan
      are measured in terms of tatami regardless of the size of the
      tatami in question.

      The cutout varies in size. The smallest is not much bigger than
      the tea kettle that sits in it. NOTE. Here I am including the
      wooden edging that is inserted into the cutout. This edging is
      an autonomous unit which is either square or rectangular.
      There is also an insert that goes into the well (which is
      currently made out of metal) which actually contains the fire.

      If you get really into the tea aesthetic, there are different
      size cutouts for different parts of the cold months. One
      cutout accomodates a nagaro which is a long rectagular hearth
      which can hold a relatively large fire. At other times
      a relative small square hearth is used over which a
      cylindrical unryuuugama is suspended by a jizai. Before the
      floods destroyed my library, I had several books just about
      tea rooms and a whole set of books about aspects of
      traditional and historic Japanese architecture. One whole
      book just about toilets for example.

      | techie.com, msn.com |