1557Re: [SCA-JML] Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jul 30, 2000
      Fumio Sensei!

      If the 1/2 mat is to actually be used in a tea room, there are a few
      additional things that you should know.

      1) During the Summer, the 1/2 size mat is solid and a doro or
      tetsuro (generically a furo) is placed on top of the tatami.
      The furo is actually placed on top of a laquer board in the
      case of a dofuro and on to of a ceremaic square in case of
      a tetsuforo.

      2) During the Winter, the 1/2 size mat typically has a cut-out
      which varies in size to accommodate the sunken ro (hearth).
      During the Winter months, the kama (water boiler) is either
      suspended from above by a jizai or held up from below by a
      gotoku. During the Summer, the kma is always supported by a
      gotoku. (A gotoku resembles a trivet.)

      As I am unwilling to take either of my dofuro to Pennsic, I make do
      with a sunken hearth outdoors.

      | techie.com, msn.com |