153[SCA-JML] Re: karaginu, other pretty toys

    Jan 3, 2000
      Ogami Itto wrote:

      > Hello again!
      > I just picked up a book called something like "The Shogun Exhibit"
      > that has lots of pretty pictures, and even a little bit of text to go
      > with it. It covers only the Edo period though [ :( ], but it seems
      > like some of the pictures might be useful for recreating earlier period
      > "stuff".
      > So, here go all the questions for every one out there in internet
      > land that might be able to help (you know who you are...).
      > First off, it lists a karaginu in the Noh section, and places the
      > date at somewhere around the Heian period, if I remember correctly. (I
      > don't have the book right here to reference.) Was the karaginu lined,
      > or unlined? It looks like it's only about 2 panels wide, but I'm not
      > to sure. It also looks as though it would have been downright
      > uncomfortable to tuck into the hakama, so I figure that it must have
      > been worn on the outside, but was the obi underneath, or over it?

      Avoid Noh costume; in many cases, the terms used are the same for court
      clothing with the same name, but the garments are in fact different (as the
      wearing of some items was proscribed by those not entitled to do so).

      Second -- the karaginu is a woman's robe. Kariginu (hunting coat)= a man's
      court robe. Karaginu (Chinese coat)= woman's underrobe.

      > Second, I seem to recall that it dates a naga kamishimo to the
      > late 1500's, and it shows hakama that have overlapping front pleats.
      > Hey, what's the deal here? I thought that overlapping pleats only came
      > about _after_ 1603-ish.

      I've never seen a pre-Tokugawa nagakamishimo...

      Overlapping pleats were extant but not the norm in the 1500s.

      > Finally, for today, does anyone out there have any suggestions on
      > where to buy traditional laquerware eating utensils and such (plates,
      > bowls, cups, etc.), or, failing that, a few books with really good
      > pictures so that I can make my own? (I finally got the lathe up and
      > running, woo hoo!)

      Yaohan, in Chicago. Also perhaps your local Oriental grociery store. You
      can usually find bowls and plates at least. The bowls are usually melamine
      (a kind of plastic) instead of lacquered wood, but given the cost of the
      real puppy, it's a deal. <G>