14970Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1447

  • Ii Saburou
    Jun 3, 2004
      On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Aden Steinke wrote:

      > Almost correct -as well as being used when a blade was made, shirasaya
      > or plain wood mountings were used to hold a blade not in use, while a
      > wooden blade (tsunagi ?) could be put in the fittings for display (don't
      > just grab a sword off the wall and try to kill your host...).

      True--I was thinking of that as being 'not yet mounted' since the fittings
      are removed, and haven't been put back on.

      Another interesting note on the wooden or bamboo blades: Apparently, in
      the Edo period, samurai who were down on their luck would occassionally
      sell their swords. However, since they needed to maintain the appearance
      of wearing two swords, they would get a wooden or bamboo replacement
      (since it would rattle around inside the saya as though something were
      actually there). Just hope you never had to get into a fight....