14936Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Pennsic Class Calendar

  • Solveig
    May 31, 2004
      Ii Dono!

      >I was thinking along the lines of the independent Indian class pamphelet I
      >saw wandering around Pennsic last year.

      I think that we can keep the number of copies down to under 1000 if we
      distribute the printed schedules through the East Asian classes themselves,
      and possibly through a few select distribution points which might include
      A&S point. However, I think that the things should be printed on card stock
      or heavy paper so that they will stand up under use.

      As for pdf and web pages. I agree that the schedule should be posted to
      the web so that people can print out their own copies BEFORE coming to
      Pennsic, but I still believe that there will be a need for printed copies
      for distribution AT Pennsic. Having a posted PDF version will help reduce
      the total nummber of copies which need to be bulk printed. However, people
      do not YET wander around Pennsic clutching net connected Palm Pilots to
      check the daily schedule. SHUDDER!

      Kiri Hime!

      >Suggestion: Why not ask the Pennsic Independent (or whatever they call
      >it this year) to print your schedule? 'Most everyone buys one of the
      >newspapers, so your schedule would be widely distributed that way.

      I agree that publication in the Pennsic Independent (which actually isn't
      independent at all as the Society Chronicler took control of it a few years
      ago) is a good idea. However, there are few things to consider about the
      Independent. 1) It comes out mid-morning and people often do not have a
      copy until about noon. 2) The only way to have a consolidated East Asian
      schedule in the Independent is probably to buy display advertising. 3) It
      is possible to buy short announcements economically and it should be possible
      to buy them in advance of Pennsic. I view the Independent as another
      way to keep
      down the number of actual printed copies that Ii dono suggested rather than as
      a replacement. 4) One real advanatage of the Independent is that it may be
      possible to have the pdf version of the schedule proposed by Baron Edward
      posted to the Pennsic Independent web page in advance of the War.

      >a stack of fliers at the point where folk register for classes. It
      >might even be cheaper to put an ad in the Pennsic book than to try to
      >print separate flyers...also people won't have a tendency to throw them

      There are new rules concerning the Pennsic book this year which may make
      this less feasible than it was in the past. One of the things which we
      might want to include in an East Asian schedule are various traditional
      parties and events of an East Asian nature.

      Note. I am not suggesting that we simply list people's events without first
      asking permission. However, I think that it might be nice to have a
      social calendar be part of this schedule.