13970Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Jito and Shugo, was Gokenin

  • Ii Saburou
    Apr 4, 2004
      Regarding taxes, one history professor I had pointed out several
      intersting things that would happene in both China and Japan. It was
      usual for peasants to hide a certain amount of the proceeds from the tax
      collectors. Rulers would then raise taxes to an artificial number (say,
      80%) which is what they would take from the rice reported.

      Thus, whenever someone wanted more, they could actually lower taxes but
      increase enforcement and actually gather in more income. Of course,
      rulers have to always be wary that they aren't starving their workers...
      too much.

      On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Andrew Leitch wrote:

      > The amount of tax collected depended on how recently the last land survey
      > was done. A jito might have 5000 tan of land to collect tax from in
      > theory. But given a bit of growth, he might actually administer 6,500 tan
      > of land because the taxes were set at the last land survey, say 80 years
      > ago.
      > Of course, land surveyors could always be bribed to underestimate land size
      > and production value as well.
      > I hope this makes sense.
      > IIRC, Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu were into land surveys in a big way
      > as it increased their income significantly.
      > Segayama no Andre
      > (Andre de Montsegur)
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic