13967[SCA-JML] Re: Gokenin

  • Solveig
    Apr 3 8:33 PM

      >All samurai had their own fiefs? Including garrison troops barracked
      >in the city?

      It was how they were paid. This sort of arrangement goes all the way
      back to land allocation to kuge under the ritsuryou system. The buke
      version was generally less direct as they often held tax collection
      or rent collection rights from which they derived a share while the
      kuge in theory held actual tax or rent rights.

      The daimyou are fundamentally a category of rights holder. If your
      fief was large enough then you were classified as a daimyou. If it
      was smaller, you were classified as a shomyou. There is more than a
      bit of confusion about all of this. The position of original significance
      was actually "shugo" which was a kind of provincial military governor
      or constable created during the Kamakura period. Shugo were awarded
      large
      fiefs and were also daimyou.