13273Re: [SCA-JML] Possible Armor Lacing Braid Source

    Feb 27, 2004
      Elaine Koogler wrote:
      > I know I'm jumping in here...probably not a good thing as I am not a
      > fighter, don't make armor, etc. But...if you REALLY want to do spiff,
      > learn how to do kumihino and braid your own cord! ;-)

      Oh, yeah. Well, there is that. <G>

      one of my teachers in Tokyo spent about three years reverse-engineering a
      kumihimo pattern to make lacing for a 12th C. armour he was making -- the braid
      was too broad for machine-made lacing to deal with from his usual supplier, and
      he also wanted to use exactly the same braid-pattern as the original. We're
      pretty certain he's the first one to have used that pattern (he redescovered it
      after many, many yards of error) for several hundred years. Oy.