13239Re: Armor Lacing Braid

  • otagiri_tatsuzo
    Feb 25, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Leitch" <kinder@w...> wrote:
      > I've noticed from a number of pictures I've seen on the net that people
      > usually use only one colour braid to do their lacing. From memory
      of one
      > of Anthony Bryant's Offsprey books, the lacing on the pauldrons (can't
      > remember the Japanese name) were occassionally a mixture of colours to
      > denote I guess, some kind of heraldic differences for clan and ranking.
      > Has anyone been game enough to try doing something like this? Or is the
      > cost of lacing simply too prohibitive?
      > - Andre

      I for one have never used a single color for a single armour. My first
      armour was a domaru with white, cream, tan, and brown lace. My current
      go-mai-do has orange, green, and brown.

      As far as I know, the colors are simply esthetic with the caveat that
      multiple colors and complex patterns would be costlier and thus a
      de-facto indicator of rank.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic