12394Re: Looking for Shoelace, Nylon Cord for Kozane/Odoshi

  • todd_last
    Jan 5, 2004
      I actually just went through the same process earlier this year. What
      I did was contact the fine folks at St. Louis Braid Co.
      (www.stlouisbraid.com - site's kinda ugly, but gets the point across)
      They only sell by the gross yard, but I got 2 gross yards (288 yards)
      for $122 + shipping.

      The style I purchased was:

      STYLE #10074 is 3/4" Wide, polyester, tubular braid

      Now this comes in a spool, which I would measure, cut, trim the ends
      and wrap in duct tape to make an aglet for ease of lacing. I got this
      lace in my main color (light blue). I purchased the other random
      colors (red, black, yellow) from my local shoe store. It's a fat
      "retro" lace whose brand name escapes me.

      If you'd like to see it, I have some pictures of my work in progress,
      but I warn you, I'm no professional and this is my first time working
      with plastic (I know, I know. But I have limited time in the metal
      shop). I just wanted to make something functional and relatively
      pretty. I'll probably try my hand at something a bit more period
      sometime in the future (my wife wants to get on the field for combat
      archery and siege weapons). If you would like to see some pictures,
      they're online at http://photos.yahoo.com/todd_last . There are a few
      folders - "Body", "Somen", "Kabuto" and "Weapons". These are all my
      attempts in progress.

      Hope this helps.

      Thank you all on the list for your insights and teachings online.
      They have been greatly helpful.

      ---Todd (no Japanese name just yet)
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic