1208Re: Modern Clothing Patterns

  • Kass McGann
    Jun 5, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, karl.j.jacobs@j... wrote:

      > Aoi-dono (Sumimasen, but what is the correct honorific?) wrote:

      Fujiwara-dono or Fujiwara-hime is fine...

      > I reply:
      > Indeed, the subtitle to the book makes it so abundantly
      > clear that the patterns are modern that even one of such
      > muddled perceptions as mine may understand that.

      Please do not degrade yourself in this manner, Kou-dono. It is
      obvious that if you do not know the answers, you have the great
      wisdom to ask the right questions...

      > I am
      > glad to know that the construction techniques are correct.
      >
      > As of yet, I know of very few resources on period garb in
      > English. From my conversations with other gentles with
      > Japanese persona, it would seem that very few of us read
      > much, if any, of the language or are scholarly enough to
      > have done the research into garb that is needed to make
      > period garb.

      This is because there is very little interest in non-SCA circles to
      make SCA-period Japanese clothing. Hiraizumi-dono and I are doing
      our best to provide something solid for our SCAdian brethern (and
      sisterern) to use.

      > My own skill at sewing garb is poor, and I have come
      > nowhere near the level of skill and experience which
      > would let me look at an illustration of garb and make
      > that item, so John Marshal's book and the Folkwear
      > patterns are what I had available that are appropriate
      > to my current level of skill.

      I feel I must drive home an important point here, Kou-dono. Japanese
      clothing construction techniques are stultifyingly simple. Most
      Japanese garments are rectangles. That means there are very few
      curves to navigate. You put straight line up to straight line and
      sew. I cannot think of less complex garb, even for the needle
      newbie. Frankly, I think you might find cutting your fabric freehand
      easier than following a pattern such as Folkwear's...

      > I have been distressed at the web pages that I have
      > found where gentles in the SCA mention that finding
      > garb for a Japanese persona is easy because all that
      > is required is to purchase a hakama and dogi from a
      > martial arts supply store.

      <shiver>

      > The modern martial arts
      > uniform is jarring to my sensibilities and does not
      > strike me as making an attempt at pre-17th century
      > garb.

      From your mouth to the heavenly ones' ears!

      > However, if someone is just starting out,
      > wants to do a Japanese persona, does not know better,
      > and has no idea of how to do research, I can
      > understand how such an assumption might be made.

      I liken it to wearing a T-tunic and jeans or sweat pants to your
      first few events. It distresses me when non-newbies persist in these
      habits, however...

      > Another thing that bothers me is when someone uses
      > a kimono pattern from one of the modern pattern
      > companies along with some shiny polyester satin or
      > rayon pseudo-silk. Perhaps when I learn more,
      > my standards of what is acceptable will be raised
      > further.

      Oh, I can see you walking down a bright and expensive road, Kou-dono,
      lined with aya gauze and nishiki brocades! Welcome to the
      obsession...

      > Unfortunately, there are not many of us doing Japanese
      > persona (at least not in the Midrealm), so there is
      > not the body of research and information accessible to
      > us as to someone who wants to do a Landsknecht (sp?).
      > The kingdoms, and perhaps the SCA as a whole, do not
      > seem to have developed the same discriminating sense
      > of what is acceptable as an attempt at authenticity.

      It is unfortunately the same in these Eastern lands as well, Kou-
      dono. We can only lead by example and try to help those who want to
      strive.

      If there is anything I can do to assist you, please let me know. In
      the meantime, I encourage you to attend Hiraizumi and my classes on
      Japanese garb and accoutrements at Pennsic this summer. The dates
      are posted on our group calendar at egroups.

      You servant,
      Aoi
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic