11649[SCA-JML] Re: Titles

  • Solveig
    Nov 5, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! There are three title tables in the back of
      Kodansha Kogojiten. But, you have to read Japanese to use them. One
      problem is that these tables do not include private offices and do
      not cover kabane. These are tables of Imperial and Bakufu offices.
      Most of what we might think of as titles in Japan are actually offices.
      Technically, even the emperor was appointed. There are also rather
      standard honourifics and pseudonyms available for use.

      Other places to look are various guides to Japanese literature where
      they explain the background information that you need to known in
      order to understand classical Japanese literature. There is one of
      these guides available in English. Unfortunately, I do not recall its
      title.