11623Re: Sword stuff, was: Looking for patterns for Edo period Kamishimo

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Nov 3, 2003
      Binsu-dono,
      Without seeing the damaged saya, I am hesitant to offer much in
      the way of anything but general advice on how to repair the nicks.

      I have made a few saya, but cannot consider myself a saya-shi
      by any means, so please understand.

      The main question would be if they are nicks in a saya that is
      truely lacquered with real urushi, or some other reproduction.

      If it is a reproduction, you will have an easier time. The area
      closely around the nicks should be sanded carefully in a light,
      circular motion, being careful to avoid making more scratches
      than you need to. Use a fine grade of sandpaper.

      If the nick is deep, a suitable wood putty can be used to fill the
      area, always keeping in mind it is better to use small
      applications and let them dry.

      When filled, sand lightly, with a fine grade of sand paper, then
      with steel wool - the kind that does not have jewelers rouge in it
      (that pink or blue paste stuff).

      You will have to determine the type of paint or lacquer that is best
      suited to your needs. This may take several tries, and some
      minor reworking.
      Regular hobby model paint is highly useful, in gloss and semi-
      gloss, applied with a fine brush. Try to make sure that the dried
      color will closely match the existing lacquer on the saya.

      If it is a larger repair, it might be worth while to think about good
      old rustoleum gloss or semi-gloss in a spray can, and re-paint
      the entire exterior of the saya.

      Let all dry several hours, and polish with a regular piece of white
      letter paper, again in a circular motion. Avoid papers that have a
      clay finish, like those used in coppiers or printers...The paper will
      do a fine job polishing, once the grain of the paper is smoothed
      down.

      Do this two or three times till the finishes start matching up.

      When you are done, it might be suitable to give the entire saya a
      light coat or two of a comercial polyeurathane (if not real urushi,
      that is...) Your call...

      If your saya is real urushi, then you might have a tougher time.
      Real urushi is not only difficult to find outside of Japan, but
      poisonous, and difficult to use. It is also beyond my ability to
      comment on further as far as your repairs go, not having seen
      the damage.

      I hope this helps some. Good luck to you tomodachi...

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
      http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
      kabuto@...

      > I would like to repair several small nicks in the black lacquer
      finish
      > on my saya. Would you be kind enough to explain the proper
      way to make
      > that repair, and where to get the correct type of lacquer.
      >
      > Arigatougozaimasu,
      > Binsu Jiro

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic