10192Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Greetings All

  • Solveig
    Jul 31, 2003

      Greetings from Solveig! When you are at an SCA event, you are NOT in
      Europe. This is true even in Drachenwald, where you are at least
      mundanely in Europe. Rather, you are in a place more akin to the
      island in The Tempest. Although they may like to pretend that their
      is nothing anomolous about their presence, the facts are that there
      is no good justification for a sixteenth century Italian dance master
      to be in the same room with someone who went on crusade with Richard I.
      That sort of thing did not and could not happen. Everyone should
      view themselves as simply having arrived by some inexplicable means.

      As for Japanese outside of Japan. Historically, such people fall into
      several categories: slaves transported by the Iberians, monks and
      scholars, soldiers in one or another of the Japanese expeditions
      to Korea or other places, pirates, and others. Ronin are just about
      the last people you would expect to run into outside of Japan.
      Ronin most typically are desperately seeking employment. See the
      movie Harakiri to get a better idea about such people.