Re: [sca-bead] Grizel added some pics to the bead site...

  • Jonalee A. Crabb
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hey Grizel,
      If I'd only known that sending you pictures would be a saintable offence, I would have done it so much sooner!!
      I recommend the book they came from (vol 1 and 2 only) because its just packed full of museum photos that can't be found in other places. I know the Milwaukee Public Library is where I got a copy, I'm sure other major libraries also have it. Little pieces of furniture, trunks, baskets, glassware, other small household items, all from German Museums. (German title and ISBN on Griz's site)
      The picture with the monkey and parrot (1576 I think?) has a very interesting headdress and you are right in that those are two separate pieces. it is not unique, I have several other pictures that show the same style in both late period German and I think Spanish has an example or two. I'm hopping to find some clearer pictures of them though, that one had the best detail.
      Enjoy the pictures,
      Roxy St. Babycakes (has a nice ring to it I think)

      >>> jen@... 12/30/00 10:06PM >>>
      thanks to jonalee!!!

      It also moved my butt to add a few others I had but hadn't gotten around
      too. About 10 new pieces, all of which are just jaw dropping.

      Medieval Beadwork: http://www.verybigdesign.com/beads

      griz
    • Jen Funk Segrest
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
        I bought www.medievalbeads.com. why? Because I could. hehehe. What's $35
        anyway?

        My bead site will be operating under that url soon. (takes 2-4 days for it
        to point actively) The current one will still work tho!

        grizzie

        ============ Homepages =================
        Dome-O-Rama: http://www.domeorama.com - Apple iReview 4-stars
        Medieval Beadwork: http://www.verybigdesign.com/beads
        Personal: http://www.verybigdesign.com - all new! (at least for now)
      • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2001
          Hi, I was wondering if someone found evidence of
          beadworks on clothing for 13th century southern
          France, and if so, where I could find illustrations.
          And at the same time, if you have sources for
          embroidery for the same time and place, I'd like to
          take a look at it.
          Thanks!

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Audrey Bergeron-Morin

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21, 2001
              on 3/21/01 7:26 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin at audreybmorin@... wrote:

              > Hi, I was wondering if someone found evidence of
              > beadworks on clothing for 13th century southern
              > France, and if so, where I could find illustrations.
              > And at the same time, if you have sources for
              > embroidery for the same time and place, I'd like to
              > take a look at it.
              > Thanks!

              Not France so much as Germany, and then only on like clerical things like
              mitres and copes. A few womens head gear type doo dahs in the 14th to 15th
              began to come in.

              France begins to do the decorative stuff with beads mainly in the 15th to
              16th, and them mainly on headgear and some hems (which could purely be
              artistic license a they are HUGE pearls and I couldn't see it being
              practical) Same with Italy.

              Ironically Spain did some beady stuffs in the 13th but not a whole lot of
              IN France have I seen yet.

              Anyone have any contradictions? I could be off my gourd.

              griz

              ===========
              Jen Funk Segrest
              very big Design
              http://www.verybigdesign.com
            • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2001
                Well, as my persona will be doing the pilgrimage to
                Santiago (as I will do myself in 3 years when
                University is over), I guess Spain would be ok too, I
                could say I took some of the styles on the way there
                :-)
                Sources?

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2001
                  on 3/21/01 9:24 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin at audreybmorin@... wrote:

                  > Well, as my persona will be doing the pilgrimage to
                  > Santiago (as I will do myself in 3 years when
                  > University is over), I guess Spain would be ok too, I
                  > could say I took some of the styles on the way there
                  > :-)
                  > Sources?

                  http://www.medievalbeads.com

                  Go to DOCUMENTATION and then to 13th century. There's some there. Italy
                  might be good, but they did it on clerical it seems like exclusively.
                • Jonalee A. Crabb
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 23, 2001
                    on 3/21/01 7:26 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin at audreybmorin@... wrote:

                    > Hi, I was wondering if someone found evidence of
                    > beadworks on clothing for 13th century southern
                    > France, and if so, where I could find illustrations.
                    > And at the same time, if you have sources for
                    > embroidery for the same time and place, I'd like to
                    > take a look at it.
                    > Thanks!

                    Check paintings by Durer - I seem to recall that there were quite a few that had names and mottos and such spelled out in beads on the upper trim area of the bodice. I've also seen a few paintings of German 15th century that had one sleeve and the front of the dress totally embellished with embroidery and pearls.
                    According to T. Lightbown in Mediaeval European Jewellery the French had plenty of beads in the 13 and 14th centuries ( though I don't know about earlier.) There's a quote in there about the Mercer's carrying bracelets of "10,000 blue beads of various designs"
                    Hope that helps some-- Roxelana
                  • Jen Funk Segrest
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 23, 2001
                      on 3/23/01 11:10 AM, Jonalee A. Crabb at jcrabb@... wrote:

                      > Check paintings by Durer - I seem to recall that there were quite a few
                      > that had names and mottos and such spelled out in beads on the upper trim area
                      > of the bodice. I've also seen a few paintings of German 15th century that had
                      > one sleeve and the front of the dress totally embellished with embroidery and
                      > pearls.
                      > According to T. Lightbown in Mediaeval European Jewellery the French had
                      > plenty of beads in the 13 and 14th centuries ( though I don't know about
                      > earlier.) There's a quote in there about the Mercer's carrying bracelets of
                      > "10,000 blue beads of various designs"
                      > Hope that helps some-- Roxelana

                      the pic I mentioned yesterday on my site, Catherine, Barbara and someone,
                      by Cranach, has Barbara name spelled out in pearls on the bodice yoke, I
                      wann do that when I make my German.

                      Jen Funk Segrest
                      very big Design
                      http://www.verybigdesign.com