[SCA-AE] Stefan's Florilegium files for June 2017

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2017
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June 2017, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.

      If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

      Is anyone still reading this monthly article on the kingdom mail lists or has everyone gone over to facebook? If you are, please let me know and which kingdom list you see it on. If no one is reading this here, then I will stop sending it out to the kingdom lists.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      ----

      This is my Florilegium article for May 2017

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-seven years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists, facebook groups, and articles whose authors have given me permission to publish. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      If you see someone's A&S documentation or perhaps an article in a local newsletter that you think deserves a wider audience, please let me know. I won't publish anything without the author's permission, but many authors are too reserved to send me their articles on their own.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the COMMERCE section:
      Charcoal-Ashs-art "Of Charcoal and Ashes" by Unnr in elska á Fjárfella.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/Charcoal-Ashs-art.html
      In the CRAFTS section:
      feathers-msg (8K) 4/19/17 Use of feathers in the Middle Ages and today.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/feathers-msg.html
      In the FEASTS section:
      Pik-Fst-Menus-art (8K) 4/29/17 "On Rules for Feast Menus or Why No One Ever Says 'Let Them Eat Tripe'" by Ld. Daniel Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre'.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Pik-Fst-Menus-art.html
      In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
      N-Whey-Y-Whey-art (22K) 4/15/17 "No Whey! Yes Whey! - Lacto-Fermentation as a Method of Preservation" by Baroness Ailleagan nas Seolta, OL, OP.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/N-Whey-Y-Whey-art.html
      In the FOOD-MEATS section:
      caul-fat-msg (5K) 3/22/17 Medieval use of caul fat. What it is.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/caul-fat-msg.html
      Salmon-n-Beer-art (4K) 4/ 9/17 "Salmon Poached in Beer" by Mistress Leoba of Lecelade.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Salmon-n-Beer-art.html
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      Pkld-Mushroms-art (5K) 4/22/17 "Pickled Mushrooms" by Mistress Leoba of Lecelade.
      In the SCA-CAMPING section:
      Handy-Knots-art (39K) 4/ 1/17 "Handy Knots for Reenactors" by Master William de Wyke.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Handy-Knots-art.html
      In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
      Tub-Card-Weav-art (12K) 3/29/17 "Tubular Card/Tablet Weaving: Making Period Cord" by Lady Elena Hylton.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/Tub-Card-Weav-art.html
      In the TRAVEL section:
      Shipbrd-Meal-art (95K) 4/ 4/17 "A Meal Onboard Ship in the 16th Century" by The Honorable Tomas de Coucy.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Shipbrd-Meal-art.html

      Updated files:
      parchment-msg Making and buying parchment. substitutes.
      root-veg-msg Medieval and period root vegetables.
      taro-msg Use of the taro plant in period.
      ----
      Copyright 2017, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

      <end>

      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris

      When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.
    • Carolyn Barrett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2017
        I read it on the AEthelmearc list.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2017
          AE list

          THORPE

          On 6/19/17 11:31 AM, Carolyn Barrett wrote:
> [...]
          >> ----
          >> Copyright 2017, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.
          >>
          >> <end>
          >>
          >> --------
          >> THLord Stefan li Rous Barony of Bryn Gwlad Kingdom of Ansteorra
          >> Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@...
          >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
          >> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florilegium.org ****

          >> When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.
          > When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.
          When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.
        • Amalie Reinhardt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2017
            Folks,

            Would you please email your reply directly to THL Stephan at stefanlirous@....

            Thank you for your cooperation!

            - Amalie
            Æ Webminister

            Sent from my iPhone

            >>> On Jun 17, 2017, at 11:07 PM, Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,
            >>>
            >>> Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for June 2017, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
            >>>
            >>> I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.
            >>>
            >>> You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.
            >>>
            >>> If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.
            >>>
            >>> Is anyone still reading this monthly article on the kingdom mail lists or has everyone gone over to facebook? If you are, please let me know and which kingdom list you see it on. If no one is reading this here, then I will stop sending it out to the kingdom lists.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks,
            >>> Stefan

            When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.