36980[SCA-AE] Question about ink on vellum

  • (no author)
    Jun 17, 2017
      Greetings from Myfanwy!

      Someone on a non-SCA webforum posted a question today about how fast ink dries on vellum. Apparently she read something about how Queen Elizabeth’s speech is being written on vellum and it wasn’t ready in time (I guess for Her birthday Jubilee festivities), because of the time it was taking for the ink to dry. While I’m not a calligrapher, I’m not completely unfamiliar with the topic -- so I figured it would depend somewhat on the ink being used was, as well, to some extent how well the vellum was prepared, and muttered a quick answer about how lamp black is made (I used to know how, but all I remember is how to collect the soot…).
      So, are there any expert scribes who have worked on (or have prepared) vellum? I know you’re out there — this *is* Æthelmearc, after all…. :-) I’d kinda like to give her an actual answer, not just a glib one.
      Thanks in advance.

      Maistres Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon
      Ruth Morrisson
      MaistresMyfanwy@...

      When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.