Re: [sbcobirding] Northern Parula

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 17 , May 7, 2003
      Hi All,

      Just a couple of addenda:

      There are two places these two streets intersect. The location is the
      second one, where Winchester Dr. ends, not the first one just as you turn
      onto Winchester Dr. from Winchester Canyon Rd.

      The Northern Parula moves around a lot. It sang from trees as much as 100
      yards from this intersection. Be sure you know its song before you go. If
      you have the Stokes bird songs, it is on the Eastern CD or tape, not the
      Western.

      At 12:03 PM 2003-05-07 -0700, Karen Bridgers wrote:
      >Steve Sosensky reports that the Northern Parula is still at the same place
      >(Winchester Dr. and Rio Vista) in Winchester Canyon this morning. He also
      >spent time at Bates Road, but found nothing of note. They did not see the
      >parula there.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      Steve Sosensky, SoCal Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.3 N, 118:22:02.1 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...
    • larryincarp
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 25, 2005
        A Northern Parula was singing this morning in the hundred foot tall
        sycamores about 200 yards south of the intersection of Highways 150
        and 192 in Carpinteria. The bird was first noted in early June by the
        staff biologist for the bridge construction project at the site.
        Larry Ballard
      • Florence Sanchez
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 18 1:38 PM
          OK, folks, I'm going to stick out my neck and report that I heard a Northern Parula in the sycamores along mission creek this morning.  This was immediately behind the Museum of Natural History at about 11 a.m.

           I was standing on the first (the most downstream) bridge when I heard it call behind me.  I tried to locate the bird and heard it again directly above me.  Then it flew upstream almost immediately, and before I could locate it, it called one more time and then was gone.  I checked the stream from both bridges and at the entrance to Rocky Nook Park, but no Parula.

          I've just returned from two weeks in Texas where I heard Parulas (both Northern and Tropical) on several occasions, so I"m sure of the call.  Though I hesitate to make these reports based on calls only, I felt it would be worth checking out if you are in the area of the Museum or Rocky Nook Park in the next couple of days.

          On another note, Red-breasted Nuthatches are still hanging around in the Museum's back yard near Las Encinas Lane, and also in the large conifers along Miradero Drive.

          Florence Sanchez

        • ericculbs
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 2015

            Singing from sycamore on the west side of Lions Club Park in Carpinteria around 9am. Larry Ballard reports that the bird is still there singing at noon and this time a short distance east near the gazebo. An event at this location is scheduled for this afternoon so access is probably limited.

            Eric Culbertson

            Carpinteria

          • Glenn Kincaid
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 2015
              I stopped by briefly on the way back from Ventura around 3PM and did not see or hear the bird.  Event had not started yet.

              Glenn Kincaid
              Santa Barbara

              On Jun 10, 2015, at 1:03 PM, ebc101@... [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Singing from sycamore on the west side of Lions Club Park in Carpinteria around 9am. Larry Ballard reports that the bird is still there singing at noon and this time a short distance east near the gazebo. An event at this location is scheduled for this afternoon so access is probably limited.

              Eric Culbertson

              Carpinteria

            • Nancy States

                Message 7 of 17 , May 30, 2016
                  Northern Parula on campus. I heard it singing in the trees S of library, W of Psyc Bldg. Had some good looks at this beautiful bird before it moved off towards the UCen.

                  -Tom.
                  Goleta
                • David Compton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2016
                    The singing male continued this morning south of the library at UCSB, seen by several birders. It was quiet for about 20 minutes, before it started singing, but sang pretty persistently for some time after.

                    Larry Ballard and I tried unsuccessfully to find the subadult Laughing Gull, at both Goleta Beach and the sewage plant, which we viewed with a scope from the north, at James Fowler Road where it crosses San Pedro Creek.

                    Dave Compton
                    Santa Barbara

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Jake Broad
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2016
                      The laughing gull has been at the sanitary district all morning and was still there last I checked around 1200. The sanitary district is open for birding Monday through Friday I just have the good fortune of working there on Saturdays.

                      -Jake Broad
                      Santa Barbara

                      Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone