Just ordered a LH nut using the Delta part number from Ace tool repair

  • dpyhgp
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10 8:18 AM
      Hello all,

      Yesterday I picked up a sawsmith that was in a garage sale. It's a nice unit that still ran fine with working key switch, original wiring, and the roller cabinet. Still had original saw blade. No rust, I'm in Colorado.

      However, like most everyone else, it was missing the arbor nuts (and also the anti kick back bar).

      I noticed that others in the group have ordered a Delta RAS replacement LH arbor nut that reportedly uses the same threads. Delta part number was:
      902012009848

      Well, I just ordered this replacement part from Ace Tool Repair (www.acetoolrepair.com). This web site allowed me to do a part number search without digging through Delta parts diagrams, and up came a LH arbor nut. So I bought it.

      Total cost was almost $27, which is a good fraction of the price I paid for the sawsmith with belt sander and jointer included :-)

      I'll report back when I get it whether or not it fits the sawsmith arbor.

      -dp
    • grandpadon47@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10 8:29 AM
        dp: Welcome to the group. Sounds like you got a deal. The nut I bought was a small size and I didn't know weather to trust it or not. The threads were ok. Some of the left handed nuts threads are different than the Sawsmith. Did you see the info on the man that makes the nuts?  grandpadon in Missouri

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10 10:47 AM
          Yes, very good deal compared to my other used shopsmith units. My mark VII needs a bit more work but it's about the same age as the sawsmith.

          When you say small size, I assume you are referring to the outside diameter of the nut? But the width of the nut should be standard. I think using a good thickness arbor washer will make up for the smaller nut outside dimensions. My Shopsmith 5/8 adapter arbors have nice thick washers with the proper undercut on the blade side. Using those washers should alleviate any worries about proper blade clamping with the smaller arbor nut. I'll compare the Delta arbor nut size with my RH Shopsmith 5/8 arbor nut when the Delta nut is delivered.

          Note, the Shopsmith 5/8 arbor adapter does not use square, acme threads. So I can't use this nut on the right side of the sawsmith.

          Speaking of arbor tooling, I'm not sure yet what washer spacing is needed to place the blade in the center of the saw guard, but I suppose I could stack thin washers if necessary to get things lined up. I did get the special sawsmith arbor to hold the shopsmith blades. That will place the blade in the right location, and I think I'll need a second spacing washer along with the shopsmith 5/8 arbor washers to get a blade in the same location.

          I did not see any messages about someone who could make the LH nut.

          I did see a few posts on making the RH nut, which could be done on a regular metal cutting lathe with the proper tooling. But I now wonder if an 8" wheel grinder has both LH and RH arbor nuts that will fit the sawsmith? I think I'll visit my local tool supplier, they have a good selection and perhaps a new grinder will use the same 5/8-11 thread size?

          If you know the message number for the discussion of someone who custom makes arbor nuts for the sawsmith, please let me know.

          thanks,

          -dp

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10 11:33 AM
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawsmith/message/580, that will get you the message about the nut. In the files is the owners manual and parts list that will help you with the spacing of the saw blade. Lots of photos and other useful information in the files too. Hope this helps you grandpadon in Missouri

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10 11:36 AM
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawsmith/message/580, that will get you the message about the nut. In the files is the owners manual and parts list that will help you with the spacing of the saw blade. Lots of photos and other useful information in the files too. Hope this helps you grandpadon in Missouri

              Yes, very good deal compared to my other used shopsmith units. My mark VII needs a bit more work but it's about the same age as the sawsmith.

              When you say small size, I assume you are referring to the outside diameter of the nut? But the width of the nut should be standard. I think using a good thickness arbor washer will make up for the smaller nut outside dimensions. My Shopsmith 5/8 adapter arbors have nice thick washers with the proper undercut on the blade side. Using those washers should alleviate any worries about proper blade clamping with the smaller arbor nut. I'll compare the Delta arbor nut size with my RH Shopsmith 5/8 arbor nut when the Delta nut is delivered.

              Note, the Shopsmith 5/8 arbor adapter does not use square, acme threads. So I can't use this nut on the right side of the sawsmith.

              Speaking of arbor tooling, I'm not sure yet what washer spacing is needed to place the blade in the center of the saw guard,
              but I suppose I could stack thin washers if necessary to get things lined up. I did get the special sawsmith arbor to hold the shopsmith blades. That will place the blade in the right location, and I think I'll need a second spacing washer along with the shopsmith 5/8 arbor washers to get a blade in the same location.

              I did not see any messages about someone who could make the LH nut.

              I did see a few posts on making the RH nut, which could be done on a regular metal cutting lathe with the proper tooling. But I now wonder if an 8" wheel grinder has both LH and RH arbor nuts that will fit the sawsmith? I think I'll visit my local tool supplier, they have a good selection and perhaps a new grinder will use the same 5/8-11 thread size?

              If you know the message number for the discussion of someone who custom makes arbor nuts for the sawsmith, please let me know.

              thanks,

              -dp

              --- In sawsmith@yahoogroup s.com, grandpadon47@ ... wrote:

              > dp: Welcome to the group. Sounds like you got a deal. The nut I bought was a small size and I didn't know weather to trust it or not. The threads were ok. Some of the left handed nuts threads are different than the Sawsmith.. Did you see the info on the man that makes the nuts?  grandpadon in Missouri

            • Frank Guros
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10 7:10 PM
                If you are not satisfied with the nut, read my message #579 pertaining to a retired machinest who made mine. He has the dwg. and will match it to your supplied shaft. You can't beat that.

                Frank

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sawsmith/ message/580, that will get you the message about the nut. In the files is the owners manual and parts list that will help you with the spacing of the saw blade. Lots of photos and other useful information in the files too. Hope this helps you grandpadon in Missouri

                Yes, very good deal compared to my other used shopsmith units. My mark VII needs a bit more work but it's about the same age as the sawsmith.

                When you say small size, I assume you are referring to the outside diameter of the nut? But the width of the nut should be standard. I think using a good thickness arbor washer will make up for the smaller nut outside dimensions. My Shopsmith 5/8 adapter arbors have nice thick washers with the proper undercut on the blade side. Using those washers should alleviate any worries about proper blade clamping with the smaller arbor nut. I'll compare the Delta arbor nut size with my RH Shopsmith 5/8 arbor nut when the Delta nut is delivered.

                Note, the Shopsmith 5/8 arbor adapter does not use square, acme threads. So I can't use this nut on the right side of the sawsmith.

                Speaking of arbor tooling, I'm not sure yet what washer spacing is needed to place the blade in the center of the saw guard,
                but I suppose I could stack thin washers if necessary to get things lined up. I did get the special sawsmith arbor to hold the shopsmith blades. That will place the blade in the right location, and I think I'll need a second spacing washer along with the shopsmith 5/8 arbor washers to get a blade in the same location.

                I did not see any messages about someone who could make the LH nut.

                I did see a few posts on making the RH nut, which could be done on a regular metal cutting lathe with the proper tooling. But I now wonder if an 8" wheel grinder has both LH and RH arbor nuts that will fit the sawsmith? I think I'll visit my local tool supplier, they have a good selection and perhaps a new grinder will use the same 5/8-11 thread size?

                If you know the message number for the discussion of someone who custom makes arbor nuts for the sawsmith, please let me know.

                thanks,

                -dp

                --- In sawsmith@yahoogroup s.com, grandpadon47@ ... wrote:

                > dp: Welcome to the group. Sounds like you got a deal. The nut I bought was a small size and I didn't know weather to trust it or not. The threads were ok. Some of the left handed nuts threads are different than the Sawsmith.. Did you see the info on the man that makes the nuts?  grandpadon in Missouri

              • dpyhgp
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2009
                  Here is my update on the Delta LH nut. It finally arrived from Ace tool repair earlier this week. Yes, it took that long to ship this out. Many mis-placed emails and other difficulties between the time I ordered the nut and now. I'm not sure I would use Ace again, although I understand that businesses occasionally have problems, and apparently I chose the wrong time to order from Ace.

                  On the other hand, the LH Delta replacement nut fits the Sawsmith arbor perfectly. It is a little on the small side, but if it works for the Delta saw, it should work for the Sawsmith.

                  Also, I'd like to report that the Shopsmith Mark VII has a threaded shaft for the auxiliary output. And it is threaded the same as for the Sawsmith. The Mark VII aux threads are RH. I had a spare nut from some Mark VII parts I've collected over the years. So the good news is that I now have arbor nuts for both sides of my Sawsmith.

                  -dp