Just Joined your group

  • dmoore4592
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      I was ran across this site by pure accident when I was looking for a
      replacement part for my Sawsmith. I purchased mine new in the late 60's
      and have kept it in mint condition ever since. Over the last 40+ years
      I could not ever recall all the things I have built with my Saw.
      Although I have a full funtioning workshop now with all the latest type
      woodworking tools, it is amazing to me how much I still use my
      Sawsmith. I have noticed that I am getting an intermittant starting
      issue and not sure that the Motor Start capacity is not getting weak.
      The original one in the machine was made by a "Safe Mike" 243 - 270 MFD
      who apparently is no longer in business - at least I can't find them.
      Does anyone have a good source for a replacement? I would suppose it
      should be pretty common. Also I would like to replace the casters on
      the rolling stand but can't find with the same shaft size that fit.
      Thanks
    • Carl Finch
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        At 07:26 PM 2/2/2009, dmoore4592 wrote:

        >I was ran across this site by pure accident when I was looking for a
        >replacement part for my Sawsmith. I purchased mine new in the late 60's
        >and have kept it in mint condition ever since. Over the last 40+ years
        >I could not ever recall all the things I have built with my Saw.
        >Although I have a full funtioning workshop now with all the latest type
        >woodworking tools, it is amazing to me how much I still use my
        >Sawsmith. I have noticed that I am getting an intermittant starting
        >issue and not sure that the Motor Start capacity is not getting weak.
        >The original one in the machine was made by a "Safe Mike" 243 - 270 MFD
        >who apparently is no longer in business - at least I can't find them.
        >Does anyone have a good source for a replacement? I would suppose it
        >should be pretty common. Also I would like to replace the casters on
        >the rolling stand but can't find with the same shaft size that fit.
        >Thanks

        Any motor repair shop can check your capacitor at no charge.

        The capacitor is NOT a critical item, and anything close to the
        original value should work OK.

        My saw is the same age as yours. It wouldn't start up at all, just
        hummed. The capacitor checked OK, and then my worst fear was that
        the motor was bad--expensive!

        But I found that the relay points were pitted. A simple touch-up
        with a point file (just like I did with my car's distributor points
        all those years ago!) took care of it.

        I wrote in more detail about this a month ago, on 1/8/09, Subject:
        "sawsmith motor on the fritz"

        Let us know what you find out! (Geez, I've requested that often
        enough, but it rarely happens. Oh well!)

        --Carl
        in Medford, Oregon
      • dmoore4592
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
          Thanks Carl for the info on the Capacitor. It is interesting that I
          disconnected all the wire spade connectors and reconnected them
          figuring that after all these years you could get one that was
          burnished or corroded. The other thing I noticed that the key lock on
          the switch (if not totally in off position) can keep the switch from
          totally engaging the contacts. It seems to run great right now. Over
          the years I've had to only to replace the switch, belt and sheeves
          and one of the cords. Not too bad for equipment 40+ years old. We
          should be so lucky. Thanks again.

          --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, Carl Finch <carlfinch@...> wrote:

          > At 07:26 PM 2/2/2009, dmoore4592 wrote:
          >
          > >I was ran across this site by pure accident when I was looking for
          > >replacement part for my Sawsmith. I purchased mine new in the late
          60's
          > >and have kept it in mint condition ever since. Over the last 40+
          years
          > >I could not ever recall all the things I have built with my Saw.
          > >Although I have a full funtioning workshop now with all the latest
          type
          > >woodworking tools, it is amazing to me how much I still use my
          > >Sawsmith. I have noticed that I am getting an intermittant starting
          > >issue and not sure that the Motor Start capacity is not getting
          weak.
          > >The original one in the machine was made by a "Safe Mike" 243 -
          270 MFD
          > >who apparently is no longer in business - at least I can't find
          them.
          > >Does anyone have a good source for a replacement? I would suppose
          it
          > >should be pretty common. Also I would like to replace the casters
          on
          > >the rolling stand but can't find with the same shaft size that fit.
          > >Thanks
          >
          > Any motor repair shop can check your capacitor at no charge.
          >
          > The capacitor is NOT a critical item, and anything close to the
          > original value should work OK.
          >
          > My saw is the same age as yours. It wouldn't start up at all, just
          > hummed. The capacitor checked OK, and then my worst fear was that
          > the motor was bad--expensive!
          >
          > But I found that the relay points were pitted. A simple touch-up
          > with a point file (just like I did with my car's distributor points
          > all those years ago!) took care of it.
          >
          > I wrote in more detail about this a month ago, on 1/8/09, Subject:
          > "sawsmith motor on the fritz"
          >
          > Let us know what you find out! (Geez, I've requested that often
          > enough, but it rarely happens. Oh well!)
          >
          > --Carl
          > in Medford, Oregon

        • Carl Finch
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
            At 04:38 PM 2/3/2009, dmoore4592 wrote:

            >Thanks Carl for the info on the Capacitor. It is interesting that I
            >disconnected all the wire spade connectors and reconnected them
            >figuring that after all these years you could get one that was
            >burnished or corroded. The other thing I noticed that the key lock on
            >the switch (if not totally in off position) can keep the switch from
            >totally engaging the contacts. It seems to run great right now. Over
            >the years I've had to only to replace the switch, belt and sheeves
            >and one of the cords. Not too bad for equipment 40+ years old. We
            >should be so lucky. Thanks again.

            You're quite welcome!

            Regarding "we should be so lucky," I really can't say I've had any
            parts replaced, but I've sure had a bunch of 'em removed--starting
            with tonsils at age 7 and... well, 'nuff said about that!

            --Carl
            in Medford, Oregon