Proud new owner

  • Edward Kauf
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hmmm Maybe not so proud. I was finally able to get the sawsmith home
      to my shop. The height adjustment crank and rod are missing, but I
      don't see a big problem in hooking up a 3/8 rod to a crank. After
      getting the switch to unlock, the motor slowly started until it was
      running nicely. I think the saw sat for about forty years without use.
      One of the problems that I am having is in trying to get the arm to move
      to a different angle. I have a feeling that something might be stuck
      even though everything looks clean. Also the blade drifts over the
      length of the cut. I probably will not be keeping the saw because I
      just don't have the space, but I would like to get it running well.
      Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll post a picture, please
      don't mind the mess in the shop.
    • mbonfire2002
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Kauf" <zygek@...> wrote:

        > Hmmm Maybe not so proud. I was finally able to get the sawsmith home
        > to my shop. The height adjustment crank and rod are missing, but I
        > don't see a big problem in hooking up a 3/8 rod to a crank. After
        > getting the switch to unlock, the motor slowly started until it was
        > running nicely. I think the saw sat for about forty years without use.
        > One of the problems that I am having is in trying to get the arm to move
        > to a different angle. I have a feeling that something might be stuck
        > even though everything looks clean. Also the blade drifts over the
        > length of the cut. I probably will not be keeping the saw because I
        > just don't have the space, but I would like to get it running well.
        > Any advice would be much appreciated. I'll post a picture, please
        > don't mind the mess in the shop.

        A couple of years ago I rescued a Sawsmith from the trash. The motor
        behaved similarly...slow at first, then seemed to run nicely...then
        after a while it had trouble starting up. What I eventually found was
        that the bearings that support the drive shaft were **completely dried
        out**. I cheated and drilled a small hole in the dust covers of the
        bearings and injected grease using a small syringe. Running fine now
        and it was not the starting capacitor like I first suspected.