Fun With a Saw

  • Alejandros Daddy
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 28, 2008
      On eBay right now for very cheap.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=120298848305&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123
    • Bill Hayes
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 28, 2008
        Missed that one
        Boy what a deal
        Bill Hayes
        Broken Arrow OK
        Too Many ER's (7) & MKV 012595, MKV 61 Anniversary

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
          I am looking for a very good copy of the book "Fun With a Saw" by
          R.J. DeCristoforo. If someone has a copy they don't need let me know.
        • grandpadon47@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012
             Amazon has one for 18.00 plus shipping, I have 3 but that is cheaper than I would want. grandpadon in Missouri

            I am looking for a very good copy of the book "Fun With a Saw" by
            R.J. DeCristoforo. If someone has a copy they don't need let me know.

          • Roberts, Ronald E - (rroberts)
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 13, 2012

              Alibris lists 4 copies right now and ABE has 5 including one for $18.

              Ron Roberts

              Tucson, Arizona

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012
                Wanted to see if a forum member had a copy they did not need, I appreciate the two suggestions, but I do know how to google and already
                knew about those two and more places for the book. Have purchased the
                book from Keepers of the Page bookstore in WA. Wanted to see if users
                might try to help other users. Thanks again.
              • grandpadon47@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012
                  o.k., so did we pass the test or not. I believe the messages speak for them self on group members helping other group members. grandpadon in Missouri

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012

                    Except for grandpa Don cornering the market on the books.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012
                      Hey GrandpaDon, I think someone wanted a free copy of one of your books!

                      Don Rieg
                    • boxo
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                        There is one on eBay right now. Free shipping, starts at fifteen bucks. Maybe this will satisfy the new guy.

                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140817699156&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1156

                      • Roberts, Ronald E - (rroberts)
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012

                          It’s a good copy and great price.  I saw it on Saturday when I bought his saw!  Managed to get it home w/o SWMBO seeing it.  She wasn’t too happy with me having 3 RAS’s let alone 4 (2 Sawsmiths & 2 DeWalts).  What can I say?  I’m a sucker for this stuff.

                          Ron Roberts

                          Tucson, Arizona

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                            Never too many good tools. I just acquired a tool I never thought I would own: a panel saw like you see at the lumber yards. This is the type you push 4x8 sheets through or cut downward through them. Got it at a garage sale for a reasonable price. Very old but works great! Then I Googled the brand, located the patent and found out this was the original concept panel saw! Within a year of being patented (early '50s) the design and rights were sold to Black & Decker (I believe) and the rest is history. So this model is the original that was made for only one year.

                            A great complement to the SawSmith and other wood tools.

                            Again, that's never too many tools and vintage often equates with quality rarely seen these days.

                            Rick

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012

                              Good for you Rick.  I’d love to have a panel saw but the prices are pretty steep for me.  I keep looking at garage sales and in the alley.  Speaking of alleys, a couple of years ago there was a big ‘ol DW RAS on a trailer with a generator sitting out near our home with a sign on it “free”.  Just like the ones the CB’s dropped into the jungles of the Pacific during WWII.  Wife glares at me with that “don’t you dare look”.  So I didn’t.  Next day it was still there.  I go home and announce that glare or not if it’s there tomorrow I’m hauling it home.  It wasn’t.  (:   Maybe she had it hauled off.

                              If it had been a panel saw I’d have grabbed it on the spot.  I created sort of a panel saw jig out of conduit and slip fittings like they use for canopy covers.   Not very efficient but very effective.  Got the idea out of one of the WW mags many moons ago.  The project’s was made from wood.  I used the conduit because…..well I don’t remember.  I think maybe for ease of getting it apart and set back up again.  Mine swings down from the ceiling.  Anyway it works ok for me.

                              Ron Roberts

                              Tucson, Arizona

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 7, 2012
                                Oh, my, the deals we have all had to let go by... Some of them haunt us forever!

                                The panel saw acquisition was a fluke and it was actually my wife who noticed the garage sale and told me about it! Believe me, it doesn't always go that way.

                                I have seen some great home-made panel saw designs, including a nice one from Woodsmith Magazine.

                                I have some older vintage tools I hope to get up and running eventually, including a small, solid cast iron tilting table saw that would be great set up for dadoing or something like that. I got a great old vintage bandsaw for a song that needs the wheel guards only. Waiting to get that one mounted and running.

                                But the one item that is the hardest to acquire is the time to use all the tools and do the projects we all want to.

                                Enjoy!

                                Rick