New SawSmith Owner

  • rsdiggs51
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2008
      I have owned and used Shopsmiths for years, and I have been lurking
      here because of an interest in the Sawsmith. Yesterday, I went and
      looked at one and could not leave without putting it in the back of
      my truck. Unfortunately, the original documentation was gone but it,
      otherwise, seems pretty complete. It is missing the anti-kickback
      bar or whatever it is called.

      It came with the add-a-tool bracket, a bunch of pulleys, bandsaw,
      belt sander and compressor. Additionally, it has a few Sawsmith
      arbors, and both arbor nuts for the output shafts. I was surprised
      to see a shaper cutter and some rub collars - no shaper arbor.

      The speed knob had no affect on the machine's speed. A little lube
      and excercise freed up the sheaves and now it changes speeds. I
      still haven't been able to figure out how to rotate the headstock on
      the arm. I freed up the release pin, but it is still no go.

      Is there anything I should be wary of? The switch seems a little
      flakey, can these be cleaned up? Amazingly, I do have the key to the
      switch and the key to door on the cabinet.

      Any suggestions will be appreciated.

      Rob
      Sawsmith s/n715497 in San Diego