Re: [sawsmith] new member looking for assitance

  • Ben McKillip
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
      I tried that. It will move about a 1/16th of an inch, but that is it. I tried wd40, liquid wrench, heating the cover up so it would expand, NOTHING!!!! If you can think of anything else let me know

      Thanks Fof The Help,

      Ben McKillip

      robert bussey <bob@...> wrote:
      Sorry to hear that. The cover was lose after I took the four screws out. The cover would break lose. After ready the e-mail from Don Smith, I realized I didn't need to take anything else off. I sprayed some wd-40 around the bearing housing. I was able to carefully use a screw drive as a pry bar and the cover came off.

      Good luck, hope this may be helpful.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
        Ooookay, Ben! Ya finally got to me! I'd figured that by now you'd
        have had that cover off for sure. When you first wrote of your
        problem so long ago I was going to check out my saw, but remembering
        it was "put away," decided not to.

        So today I just hadda see what was what!

        I drug out my saw, pulled the cover, and have snapped a couple pix
        for you, figuring that since you'd only budged the cover 1/16" that
        you wouldn't really know what was inside or where your cover might be binding.

        The pix are in the album "Carl's Stuff" on the group's site, or simply click

        From the second photo showing the inside of the cover you can see
        that the only *possible* point of binding is around the lower and
        smaller hole in the cover. It is the precision-machined bearing
        carrier. And so it *should* be snug! Otherwise the bearing and its
        shaft would wobble.

        My guess is that in trying to pry the cover off you have canted it
        slightly and thus jammed it tight. Perhaps the best way to proceed
        now would be to reinsert the four screws and tighten them down
        *evenly* in order to square things up, and then try again, being
        exceedingly careful to pull the cover *straight* off. You might be
        able to use a bearing puller, hooking onto the groove that retains
        the rubber boot.

        By the way, you may want to give it another shot of solvent--that
        WD-40 leaves a GUMMY residue after it evaporates! And don't ask me how I know!

        --Carl
        in Medford, Oregon