Saw Blade and sliding track

  • Matt Callan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      Thanks for all the info on the coiled cable in the arm. The track is
      the same distance apart at all points, I thought that it was the track,
      but as some of you have pointed out, it is the coiled cable that made
      it feel as if the sliding track was at fault at full push and pull of
      the saw. I need to replace the very stiff and broken coiled wire.
      Talking about the saw blade, the saws all came with only a 9" blade.
      The SHOPSMITH site only has 10" blades for sale. I measured the space
      inside the blade shield and there is room for a 10" blade with about
      1/4" to spare. I do like the quick removal with an allen wrench that
      Sawsmith has, a good idea there. So the 10" blade will fit or they
      wouldn't be selling them. I was informed that there is a phone No. out
      there for the left handed nut and attached washer for the 5/8" shaft,
      which would be for the dado and shaper blades. Does anyone have an
      idea about what month and year this No. may be in the questions so that
      I can go look for it?

      Thanks,
      Router
    • Carl Finch
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
        Matt, below are some clips from guys that seem to have found what you need.
        As you say, the allen wrench arbor is quick and easy, but finding a
        modern blade
        with the large hole is the problem. And yes, a 10" blade works fine.

        --Carl
        in Medford, Oregon

        ================================

        From: Donald Smith <grandpadon47@...>
        Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 14:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
        Subject: Re: [sawsmith] Left Hand Thread arbor nut...

        Steve: Did you read post 204? I got a delta nut and after cleaning
        the rust off my arbor it fits good. It is smaller then the original I
        have. The part number off my sales receipt is 902012009848. I got
        mine from Heath sales in North Kansas City, Mo. Phone: 816-471-8665,
        Fax Number 816-471-8416. The price was 9.91 with tax but that was
        Aug. of 2005. They also had one that has a washer on it or made with
        it for around 40.00 if I remember right. But like I said that was
        last fall. I never could find those nuts on the Delta site as they
        was always sold out. Hope this helps you, If I can be any more help
        just let me know and I will try. grandpadon47 in Missouri

        ===============================

        From: "John" <seabrightjw@...>
        Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:23:26 -0000
        Subject: [sawsmith] Re: Making left handed arbor nuts....

        You guys do know you can buy a lefthand arbor nut from Delta. It is
        standard on most belt driven 10" table saws. I have a mod.# 36.635.
        Any of the 36.600 series use the same one. They're a little snug and
        a smaller profile, but I've been using it for a couple of years now.
        5/8" arbor. 15/16" wrench instead of 1 1/8". I think it was $8. when
        I bought the extra. Also I have a extra R/H nut if anyone needs one.

        ===============================

        From: Donald Smith <grandpadon47@...>
        Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
        Subject: Re: [sawsmith] Arbor nuts and washers

        I went down to my local Delta Dist. to ask him about the nut number
        902-01-200-9848 he said he used to have them. he called someone and
        asked about it. That person gave him a 36-659 number. I asked if he
        knew what it looked like and then he said yes. I handed him the nut
        off my 1960 Sawsmith and he said yes it looks like that. So I have
        ordered one. it's around 10.00. He also said he had 1 with the washer
        made on it for 27.00. In the meantime of talking to him I told him
        about the group and that there is a lot of members that want these
        nuts. That was yesterday, Wed., Today I looked up the 36-659 on the
        deltamachinery.com site. It states that number is a right handed
        thread and that the 36-660 is the left hand thread. So when I get
        the nut and it fits I will let everyone know. I hope this
        helps grandpadon47@...