Got me a new saw

  • grandpadon47
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
      Has anyone ever gotten on craigslist.org to search for the Sawsmith? I
      search every now and again on there and e-bay. Well today I typed in
      radial arm saw. I got like 15 results, the first being a RAS for 25.00.
      The ad said it was a Sawsmith. He had a picture really far away. Said
      he broke the crank. When I got there it turned out to be the gray model
      Serial number 724039 so might of been made in 1971 or 1972.
      Seems to work ok alltho I have not tried all of it out yet. Gotta go
      to the woodshed and clean house first. I am wondering if the parts will
      interchange with my brown Sawsmith? Thought I would liven up the group
      and tell them my find. grandpadon47 in Missouri
    • Brian Frobisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
        Were Sawsmiths manufactured in the 70s at all?

        I thought the Sawsmith line was only made by Magna back in the 60s.

        When Shopsmith came back into business in the early 70s I thought it was only with the Mark V Shopsmith.

        Thanks

        Brian
        Los Angeles

        >Has anyone ever gotten on craigslist.org to search for the Sawsmith? I
        >search every now and again on there and e-bay. Well today I typed in
        >radial arm saw. I got like 15 results, the first being a RAS for 25.00.
        >The ad said it was a Sawsmith. He had a picture really far away. Said
        >he broke the crank. When I got there it turned out to be the gray model
        >Serial number 724039 so might of been made in 1971 or 1972.
        > Seems to work ok alltho I have not tried all of it out yet. Gotta go
        >to the woodshed and clean house first. I am wondering if the parts will
        >interchange with my brown Sawsmith? Thought I would liven up the group
        >and tell them my find. grandpadon47 in Missouri

      • Donald Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
          If you look at the serial numbers on the link in one of the messages it says 1971. My serial number is after that so I just suppose it was made after that

          Brian Frobisher <froby@...> wrote: Were Sawsmiths manufactured in the 70s at all?

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
            If you look at the serial numbers on the link in one of the messages it says 1971. My serial number is after that so I just suppose it was made after that

            Brian Frobisher <froby@...> wrote: Were Sawsmiths manufactured in the 70s at all?

            I thought the Sawsmith line was only made by Magna back in the 60s.

            When Shopsmith came back into business in the early 70s I thought it was only with the Mark V Shopsmith.

            Thanks

            Brian
            Los Angeles

            >Has anyone ever gotten on craigslist.org to search for the Sawsmith? I
            >search every now and again on there and e-bay. Well today I typed in
            >radial arm saw. I got like 15 results, the first being a RAS for 25.00.
            >The ad said it was a Sawsmith. He had a picture really far away. Said
            >he broke the crank. When I got there it turned out to be the gray model
            >Serial number 724039 so might of been made in 1971 or 1972.
            > Seems to work ok alltho I have not tried all of it out yet. Gotta go
            >to the woodshed and clean house first. I am wondering if the parts will
            >interchange with my brown Sawsmith? Thought I would liven up the group
            >and tell them my find. grandpadon47 in Missouri

          • Paul Mullen
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2007
              Brian,

              I'm an owner of a Sawsmith, but not an expert. I believe the last Sawsmith was made in about 1962 or 1963. I probably have one of the last ones made.

              Paul

              Brian Frobisher <froby@...> wrote:
              Were Sawsmiths manufactured in the 70s at all?

              I thought the Sawsmith line was only made by Magna back in the 60s.

              When Shopsmith came back into business in the early 70s I thought it was only with the Mark V Shopsmith.

              Thanks

              Brian
              Los Angeles

              >Has anyone ever gotten on craigslist.org to search for the Sawsmith? I
              >search every now and again on there and e-bay. Well today I typed in
              >radial arm saw. I got like 15 results, the first being a RAS for 25.00.
              >The ad said it was a Sawsmith. He had a picture really far away. Said
              >he broke the crank. When I got there it turned out to be the gray model
              >Serial number 724039 so might of been made in 1971 or 1972.
              > Seems to work ok alltho I have not tried all of it out yet. Gotta go
              >to the woodshed and clean house first. I am wondering if the parts will
              >interchange with my brown Sawsmith? Thought I would liven up the group
              >and tell them my find. grandpadon47 in Missouri

              Paul Mullen
              shopsmithmarkv@...