Re: [sawsmith] A Couple of questions

  • jacobvb@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
      The brown/gold colors were used by Magna/Yuba in 1962 for the 15th anniversary of the Shopsmith tool. I think they carried it over for the Sawsmith as well. Grey became the color after that. The Shopsmith 10e and er machines were a greyish-blue color and the first Mark V's were two toned green. After the anniversary model, they went to grey and have remained so ever since.

      Regarding serial numbers, Magna was the first company to make Shopsmith, then it was sold to Yuba, a group of Magna employees. Yuba went out of business in the late '60s. Bob Folkerth bought the rights and tooling and resurrected the company in 1972 or so, calling it Shopmith. They had trouble with serial number records which is why serial numbers pre-72 are quite sketchy.

      Jacob
      Virginia Beach, Virginia