A Couple of questions

  • hondo442002
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
      I will be buying a new belt for my recently acquired machine and
      wondered if there any tricks to replacing the belt. I also am missing
      the green button to start the machine it works without it but wonder if
      there are replacements of any nature out there.
      The machine cleaned up beautifully and runs like a top, I can't wait to
      put it to use. I can't see where the change in the Sawsmiths occured
      from 2 tone brown to the gray one that I have. The serial number isn't
      referenced yet on the shopsmith site. It seems to have been made after
      they quit keeping track of the numbers. It seems strange to not be
      found, anywhere on the shopsmith site.
    • jacobvb@cox.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
        The brown/gold colors were used by Magna/Yuba in 1962 for the 15th anniversary of the Shopsmith tool. I think they carried it over for the Sawsmith as well. Grey became the color after that. The Shopsmith 10e and er machines were a greyish-blue color and the first Mark V's were two toned green. After the anniversary model, they went to grey and have remained so ever since.

        Regarding serial numbers, Magna was the first company to make Shopsmith, then it was sold to Yuba, a group of Magna employees. Yuba went out of business in the late '60s. Bob Folkerth bought the rights and tooling and resurrected the company in 1972 or so, calling it Shopmith. They had trouble with serial number records which is why serial numbers pre-72 are quite sketchy.

        Jacob
        Virginia Beach, Virginia