Making left handed arbor nuts....

  • mbonfire2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2006
      This would be a good application for what is called "threadmilling"
      i.e. the use of a CNC milling machine with a threadmilling cutter. As
      I understand it, they are capable of virtually any pitch/diameter. I
      have a desktop CNC (Taig mill) and have been researching threadmilling
      but have not found a reasonably priced threadmill holder and bit that
      fit my system. Once programmed, a CNC could crank these about pretty
      quick.

      Steve

      P.S. I have finished refurbing my trash collected SawSmith. It took a
      bunch of work (I had to fabricate from scratch a blade guard...it was
      totally missing, rewire the motor...one of the leads to the relay box
      had totally cracked insulation, rewire the coiled power cord...it had
      fatigued/broken, buy a left hand nut, make some arbor washers to
      clamp/mount 1 inch diameter hole blades, clean lube everything, build
      a new wood work surface, build a saw stand), but it was worth it!
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 24, 2006
        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "mbonfire2002" <mbonfire@...> wrote:

        > This would be a good application for what is called "threadmilling"
        > i.e. the use of a CNC milling machine with a threadmilling
        cutter. As
        > I understand it, they are capable of virtually any
        pitch/diameter. I
        > have a desktop CNC (Taig mill) and have been researching
        threadmilling
        > but have not found a reasonably priced threadmill holder and bit
        that
        > fit my system. Once programmed, a CNC could crank these about
        pretty
        > quick.
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > P.S. I have finished refurbing my trash collected SawSmith. It
        took a
        > bunch of work (I had to fabricate from scratch a blade guard...it
        was
        > totally missing, rewire the motor...one of the leads to the relay
        box
        > had totally cracked insulation, rewire the coiled power cord...it
        had
        > fatigued/broken, buy a left hand nut, make some arbor washers to
        > clamp/mount 1 inch diameter hole blades, clean lube everything,
        build
        > a new wood work surface, build a saw stand), but it was worth it!

        You guys do know you can buy a lefthand arbor nut from Delta. It is
        standard on most belt driven 10" table saws. I have a mod.# 36.635.
        Any of the 36.600 series use the same one. They're a little snug and
        a smaller profile, but I've been using it for a couple of years now.
        5/8" arbor. 15/16" wrench instead of 1 1/8". I think it was $8. when
        I bought the extra. Also I have a extra R/H nut if anyone needs one.