Glad to find this group!

  • mbonfire2002
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12 3:41 PM
      Last Friday, while driving home from work, an interesting thing caught
      my eye in a neighbor's trash. Turned out to be a Sawsmith radial arm
      saw. Old and dusty but solid looking, it had been thrown out. I
      could not resist (though I was not familiar with this saw...it
      certainly looked like it had real "beef").

      At this point the motor won't spin at speed (it hums and very slowly
      turns) although with power off, I can turn it over my hand without
      undue effort. I will be pulling the motor apart tomorrow with the
      hope it is something easily fixable. Any clues from you experts? I
      would love to salvage this guy and clean it up.

      Steve
    • Paul Mullen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12 3:55 PM
        First thing I would do is to blow is out good with an air hose, then try it.

        Paul

        mbonfire2002 <mbonfire@...> wrote:
        Last Friday, while driving home from work, an interesting thing caught
        my eye in a neighbor's trash. Turned out to be a Sawsmith radial arm
        saw. Old and dusty but solid looking, it had been thrown out. I
        could not resist (though I was not familiar with this saw...it
        certainly looked like it had real "beef").

        At this point the motor won't spin at speed (it hums and very slowly
        turns) although with power off, I can turn it over my hand without
        undue effort. I will be pulling the motor apart tomorrow with the
        hope it is something easily fixable. Any clues from you experts? I
        would love to salvage this guy and clean it up.

        Steve

        ---------------------------------

        Paul Mullen
        shopsmithmarkv@...

      • Don Rieg
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12 5:56 PM
          Hi Steve,

          That's a great find! I hope you can get it up and running. Check
          the database and the files to the left side of the web page to find
          owner's manual and troublehsooting manual downloads. The motor is a
          capacitance start, I wonder if a failure there might be part of the
          spin up problem. Just an uniformed guess.

          If you should decide that the saw is beyond repair be sure and post
          what parts; switch, elevating gearset, belt pulleys, coiled cord and
          the like which might be available. Members are always in search on
          such things on this site.

          Good luck with bringing the saw on line. They are great pieces of
          equipment.

          Don Rieg
        • mbonfire2002
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13 9:48 AM
            Thanks for the suggestions. I had sprayed a small amount of wd40 in a
            few days ago. Today I settled down to troubeshoot the problem but
            decided to give it a try...bingo, it spun right up. I let it run a
            few minutes and now it runs pretty much like new. Now on to tramming
            it and lubricating all the bearing surfaces...I don't think anyone has
            run this guy in decades...just a might sticky. I'll search on the
            various posts for info. Thanks again, for the help.

            Steve

            --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, Paul Mullen <shopsmithmarkv@...> wrote:

            > First thing I would do is to blow is out good with an air hose, then
            try it.

            > Paul
            >

            > mbonfire2002 <mbonfire@...> wrote:
            > Last Friday, while driving home from work, an interesting thing caught
            > my eye in a neighbor's trash. Turned out to be a Sawsmith radial arm
            > saw. Old and dusty but solid looking, it had been thrown out. I
            > could not resist (though I was not familiar with this saw...it
            > certainly looked like it had real "beef").
            >
            > At this point the motor won't spin at speed (it hums and very slowly
            > turns) although with power off, I can turn it over my hand without
            > undue effort. I will be pulling the motor apart tomorrow with the
            > hope it is something easily fixable. Any clues from you experts? I
            > would love to salvage this guy and clean it up.
            >
            > Steve

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > Paul Mullen
            > shopsmithmarkv@...

          • Thomas Clark
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15 4:48 AM
              Last May I purchased one at a garage sale and tore the motor apart. I
              found about a ton of saw dust inside. Relatively easy to take apart and
              clean. I changed all the bearings in the motor and the variable speed
              shaft. I posted the correct bearing name and numbers on a note in our
              site last year that you can reference. You can find the bearings at any
              local bearing distributors. You can search for the correct note with the
              bearing #'s on our calandar which should be May, June, or July of 2005.

              You can also buy a new variable speed drive belt from Shopsmith. Their
              # is 800-762-7555. The belt part # is 503257 and it is actually made in
              the USA.

              Tom

              Thanks for the suggestions. I had sprayed a small amount of wd40 in a
              few days ago. Today I settled down to troubeshoot the problem but
              decided to give it a try...bingo, it spun right up. I let it run a few
              minutes and now it runs pretty much like new. Now on to tramming it and
              lubricating all the bearing surfaces...I don't think anyone has run this
              guy in decades...just a might sticky. I'll search on the various posts
              for info. Thanks again, for the help.

              Steve

              --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, Paul Mullen <shopsmithmarkv@...> wrote:

              > First thing I would do is to blow is out good with an air hose, then
              try it.

              > Paul
              >

              > mbonfire2002 <mbonfire@...> wrote:
              > Last Friday, while driving home from work, an interesting thing
              > caught my eye in a neighbor's trash. Turned out to be a Sawsmith
              > radial arm saw. Old and dusty but solid looking, it had been thrown
              > out. I could not resist (though I was not familiar with this saw...it

              > certainly looked like it had real "beef").
              >
              > At this point the motor won't spin at speed (it hums and very slowly
              > turns) although with power off, I can turn it over my hand without
              > undue effort. I will be pulling the motor apart tomorrow with the
              > hope it is something easily fixable. Any clues from you experts? I
              > would love to salvage this guy and clean it up.
              >
              > Steve

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > Paul Mullen
              > shopsmithmarkv@...

              Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology.
              It's free.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/RUTolB/TM
            • mbonfire2002
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15 7:50 AM
                Tom,

                Thanks for the info. The belt was the last piece of the puzzle.
                Mine seems OK but who knows when it will give up the ghost. I think
                I will order a spare.

                Steve

                PS. I have a left hand shaft nut on order but decided to see if I
                had something laying around the shop that might let me take a test
                cut off of the right side of the saw. I had a foot long bolt and
                nut that I found on the street one day that I am pretty sure came
                off of a telephone / power pole. Galvanized, square head on bolt,
                square head on nut...real sloppy thread. Turns out a little filing
                on the ID of the nut and it fits real fine on the right side shaft.

                --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clark"