Item number: 7614915958 on E-bay

  • grandpadon47
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2006
      Anyone see the sawsmith base cabinet on E-bay. Looks almost like
      mine, Rust in the same spots and all. grandpadon47
    • Alejandros Daddy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2006
        My father built his SS into his workbench. I am planning to do the same with mine (I bought
        one last year that had the original blade on it, stil sharp). If you are not planning to use the
        attachments, is there any advantage to having the cabinet?

      • rroberts@email.arizona.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2006
          I did and it's already gone! :) I didn't think I'd ever see just the
          base. At
          one point I was going to buy the whole thing, saw and all from him but changed
          my mind at the last minute. So I was pleasantly surprised when just the base
          showed up. Mine diidn't come with one and I really doubted I'd ever find one
          for it. My saw is in good shape and runs well so I was thinking of buying
          another one for the base and for spare parts. Almost did too but got to
          thinking it was something I didn't really need. But patience is sometimes
          rewarded.

          I'm now inspired to return my saw to it's original colors or as close as I can
          come to it. It was a bright blue when I got it. The base will at least give
          me an idea on the lighter brown and maybe some of you might know on the darker
          where I should start.

          Ron Roberts
          Tucson, AZ

          Quoting grandpadon47 <grandpadon47@...>:

          > Anyone see the sawsmith base cabinet on E-bay. Looks almost like
          > mine, Rust in the same spots and all. grandpadon47
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carl Finch
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
            At 07:14 PM 4/29/2006, you wrote:

            >My father built his SS into his workbench. I am planning to do the same
            >with mine (I bought
            >one last year that had the original blade on it, stil sharp). If you are
            >not planning to use the
            >attachments, is there any advantage to having the cabinet?

            I sure think there is (and I have none of those attachments)!

            It's WHEELS! I've never had a 'dedicated' woodshop--just a garage. I've
            found it nice to be able to easily roll the saw outdoors and leave the saw
            dust there, rather than covering SWMBO's car and everything else inside
            with dust.

            Also nice is the ability to raise those wheels and lower the
            saw-and-cabinet down onto the floor. Far more stable than lockable wheels.

            Also, there are times when I find it useful to be able to stand at the back
            of the saw to better see what I'm doing.

            Unhappily for me, the California earthquake of 1989 (called the "Loma
            Prieta" quake) tossed my saw against the front of my Toyota (which then
            pushed its way through the garage door), and neither have been quite the
            same since. The nose of the Toyota bears the impression of the back end of
            the saw's arm, and I was never able to completely straighten one back
            corner of the saw's cabinet--the wheels still work fine, but I usually have
            to slip a shim under that corner after they're raised.

            --Carl
            15 miles from the epicenter in '89, but now in Medford, Oregon