Re: [sawsmith] Re: So What Should I Look For? See It this Saturday Morning.

  • J & J Leight
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2005
      Jon,
      I've been looking for a while and even tried a couple metal shops to see if they could make one. Unfortunately all the research I've done has come up with that they were originally produced around the time of Metric, SAE, ACME, and there were other names I can't remember right now and a few different size threads for aircraft and in Europe were all trying to become a World Standard. So it was unsure exactly which thread it was supposed to be but I think it was one the owner made up on his own.

      This size thread seems to be a standard 5/8" except the threads are not as narrow as a normal thread is, they are wider but with the points cut off at the height a normal thread would have points. I've bought a 5/8" left handed die to see if I could re-thread the arbor on my Saw Smith and I couldn't get it more than a half turn maybe 3/4. It seems to want to cut on both sides of each of the threads when I took a close look at it. I called A LOT of places and most say it was a special thread the owner used on the saw and wasn't a standard thread for anything else. Being so Proprietary it made sure no other attachments or accessories from anyone else could be bought and used on these saws. So Do what I do and keep checking Ebay and other auctions that are out there hoping to find one.
      Hope this helps.
      Jim
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2005
        I FOUND THAT THE ARBOR NUT ON A DELTA 36-600 TABLE SAW
        IS THE SAME. I HAVE AN EXTRA ALSO.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • J & J Leight
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 23, 2005
          Hi John,
          Are you sure it's the same as the left handed one on the SawSmith ?
          After all I went through looking for something that fit, I can't believe it. Is that Delta Saw common? If so I'll look for one of those. If they aren't.....what would you want for your extra one?
          Jim

          --- J & J Leight <jleight@...> wrote:

          > Jon,
          > I've been looking for a while and even tried a
          > couple metal shops to see if they could make one.
          > Unfortunately all the research I've done has come up
          > with that they were originally produced around the
          > time of Metric, SAE, ACME, and there were other
          > names I can't remember right now and a few different
          > size threads for aircraft and in Europe were all
          > trying to become a World Standard. So it was unsure
          > exactly which thread it was supposed to be but I
          > think it was one the owner made up on his own.
          >
          > This size thread seems to be a standard 5/8" except
          > the threads are not as narrow as a normal thread is,
          > they are wider but with the points cut off at the
          > height a normal thread would have points. I've
          > bought a 5/8" left handed die to see if I could
          > re-thread the arbor on my Saw Smith and I couldn't
          > get it more than a half turn maybe 3/4. It seems to
          > want to cut on both sides of each of the threads
          > when I took a close look at it. I called A LOT of
          > places and most say it was a special thread the
          > owner used on the saw and wasn't a standard thread
          > for anything else. Being so Proprietary it made sure
          > no other attachments or accessories from anyone else
          > could be bought and used on these saws. So Do what I
          > do and keep checking Ebay and other auctions that
          > are out there hoping to find one.
          > Hope this helps.
          > Jim

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          Hobby magazine Hobby store Hobby supply

        • Richard Woelffer
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 23, 2005
            If John is correct, and I am not saying he is not, you can purchase the nuts and a flange if you need one direct from Delta.

            http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/logon.asp

            The tablesaw model DELTA 36-600 TABLE SAW is there and the nut and flange are both available for under $10.00 total plus shipping. You have to create an account to login.

            Remember that Delwat purchased Delta, hence the URL above.

            Have not ordered it....

            Rich.

            --- J & J Leight <jleight@...> wrote:

            > Jon,
            > I've been looking for a while and even tried a
            > couple metal shops to see if they could make one.
            > Unfortunately all the research I've done has come up
            > with that they were originally produced around the
            > time of Metric, SAE, ACME, and there were other
            > names I can't remember right now and a few different
            > size threads for aircraft and in Europe were all
            > trying to become a World Standard. So it was unsure
            > exactly which thread it was supposed to be but I
            > think it was one the owner made up on his own.
            >
            > This size thread seems to be a standard 5/8" except
            > the threads are not as narrow as a normal thread is,
            > they are wider but with the points cut off at the
            > height a normal thread would have points. I've
            > bought a 5/8" left handed die to see if I could
            > re-thread the arbor on my Saw Smith and I couldn't
            > get it more than a half turn maybe 3/4. It seems to
            > want to cut on both sides of each of the threads
            > when I took a close look at it. I called A LOT of
            > places and most say it was a special thread the
            > owner used on the saw and wasn't a standard thread
            > for anything else. Being so Proprietary it made sure
            > no other attachments or accessories from anyone else
            > could be bought and used on these saws. So Do what I
            > do and keep checking Ebay and other auctions that
            > are out there hoping to find one.
            > Hope this helps.
            > Jim

          • John Wiberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 24, 2005
              I have a Delta 36-630 10" contractor saw and I took
              the nut off of it and screwed right on the arbor. I've
              been told that all the "belt drive" Contractor saws
              use the same nut. I'll look for the reciept and send
              you guys the part#. If I remember the shipping was
              more than the nut. Only $2 or $3 dollars. Ask around.
              And try it. Someone you know probably has one of the
              saws. They are very common. Mid range price table saw.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Donald Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 24, 2005
                On www.deltamachinery.com the explosed view of the 36-600 says the nut is a 5/8-18 which does not fit. but the same site for the 36-630 does not say the size just that it is left hand nut. the part number there is 902-01-200-9848. There is a Delta dealer in North Kansas City, Mo. If anyone lives close to that. grandpadon47@...

                John Wiberg <seabrightjw@...> wrote:I have a Delta 36-630 10" contractor saw and I took