So What Should I Look For? See It this Saturday Morning.

  • Richard Woelffer
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
      I am new at this, but I just got off the phone with a gentleman who
      has a SawSmith for sale. Made by Magna. Good shape with the manuals.
      He purchased it 10 years ago and has used it just a little since then.

      I get to see it Saturday Morning. What should I look for. Any
      problem areas?

      He said he only had a 11/2" (size ?) arbor. It has been there for 10
      years, but the blade could be replaced soon. Says there is a 5/8
      left
      hand nut on the other side but he can't find the nut. I will read the
      manuals next

      So what do I look at? What should I do?

      It is going to cost more in Gas to get it. But I think it is worth
      $10.00

      I have a Sears Craftsman RAS now, that I would replace with this unit
      if it checks out.

      Richard
      Mark V owner
      Tool Collector....
    • Jacob Anderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
        Richard - great find! If you haven't already done so, download the owner's manual for the Sawsmith from our files section. I would try everything on the saw, all movements (& there are a bunch).

        Take blade off for safety, turn it on and run it through the speeds. Crank height up and down to see if it is smooth. Move table in and out and see if it locks. See if it locks at the various angles. If it checks out and especially if the motor runs well and sounds good, I would get it. Main things that go on a machine this old are the coiled electric cord, switch and belt and we've covered these here, check the archives. Have help moving it (250 lbs or so and not much you can do to make it lighter).

        The arbor he has is for the Shopsmith 1-1/4" blades. The left arbor nut allows use of 5/8" blades.

        Keep us posted!

        Jacob
[...]

        SPONSORED LINKS Craft hobby<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=JURbI4FfGBmTiOxtqoq24g> Hobby and craft supply<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=HfxrutgaVxIyl1pLQmBoSg> Yuba<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Yuba&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=8dAMBUbuzbqCr4A_Q2WXeg>
        Hobby magazine<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+magazine&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=IYD3nR5qHb0usBHsOjm_5A> Hobby store<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+store&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=h8xNvgDUjfLI7981U7d69g> Hobby supply<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Yuba&w4=Hobby+magazine&w5=Hobby+store&w6=Hobby+supply&c=6&s=110&.sig=DsBLYYein4pxymQjTTx-Pg>

      • Richard Woelffer
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
          Thanks Jacob,

          I will bring this down with me and run through it.

          Are there any sources for a nut for the left arbor? He said he has looked but can not find one. This would be great due to the large number of 10" blades I have with a 5/8" hole.

          Rich

        • Jacob Anderson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
            Good luck tomorrow. No one has ever found a source for the right or left arbor nuts that I've heard of. We've just kept an eye out on ebay and on yahoo user groups. Just a couple have shown up, so they are rare.

            Jacob
            I will bring this down with me and run through it.

            Are there any sources for a nut for the left arbor? He said he has looked but can not find one. This would be great due to the large number of 10" blades I have with a 5/8" hole.

            Rich

          • Jon
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
              What size arbor nut are we looking for 1/2" SAE? fine or coarse thread, I do not have my Sawsmith with me as my son has it and he is hard to get in touch with. I have a few resources I may be able to get some. How thick is the nut as well?

              Jon
              Good luck tomorrow. No one has ever found a source for the right or left arbor nuts that I've heard of. We've just kept an eye out on ebay and on yahoo user groups. Just a couple have shown up, so they are rare.

              Jacob
              I will bring this down with me and run through it.

              Are there any sources for a nut for the left arbor? He said he has looked but can not find one. This would be great due to the large number of 10" blades I have with a 5/8" hole.

              Rich

            • Donald Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20, 2005
                Hi Jon: I have tried a 5/8 left handed nut on my arbor. the 5/8-11 only goes on about 1/4 turn. A man that has been in the hardware business a long time told me to take it to a machine shop and get a nut made. If i counted right the thread are 10 or 101/2 to the inch. if i am reading my micrometer right the thickness of the nut i have is .392 , just a fraction over 3/8 0f an inch but not 13/32. I did a search today and did find www.theracedepot.com has a 5/8-10 left hand jam nut for .70. I hope this helps you some. grandpadon47@...

                Jon <jonkunkel@...> wrote:What size arbor nut are we looking for 1/2" SAE? fine or coarse thread, I do not have my Sawsmith with me as my son has it and he is hard to get in touch with. I have a few resources I may be able to get some. How thick is the nut as well?

                Jon

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2005
                  Is the nut a metric nut?

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 22, 2005
                    No, I even tried metric, 5/8" nuts from Milwaukee, Dewalt, anything I
                    could find. Seems to be unique.
                    Jacob

                    --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonkunkel@c...> wrote:
                    > Is the nut a metric nut?
                    >
                    > Jon
                  • J & J Leight
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 22, 2005
                      Jon,
                      I've been looking for a while and even tried a couple metal shops to see if they could make one. Unfortunately all the research I've done has come up with that they were originally produced around the time of Metric, SAE, ACME, and there were other names I can't remember right now and a few different size threads for aircraft and in Europe were all trying to become a World Standard. So it was unsure exactly which thread it was supposed to be but I think it was one the owner made up on his own.

                      This size thread seems to be a standard 5/8" except the threads are not as narrow as a normal thread is, they are wider but with the points cut off at the height a normal thread would have points. I've bought a 5/8" left handed die to see if I could re-thread the arbor on my Saw Smith and I couldn't get it more than a half turn maybe 3/4. It seems to want to cut on both sides of each of the threads when I took a close look at it. I called A LOT of places and most say it was a special thread the owner used on the saw and wasn't a standard thread for anything else. Being so Proprietary it made sure no other attachments or accessories from anyone else could be bought and used on these saws. So Do what I do and keep checking Ebay and other auctions that are out there hoping to find one.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Jim
                      No, I even tried metric, 5/8" nuts from Milwaukee, Dewalt, anything I
                      could find. Seems to be unique.
                      Jacob

                      --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonkunkel@c...> wrote:
                      > Is the nut a metric nut?
                      >
                      > Jon

                    • John Wiberg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 22, 2005
                        I FOUND THAT THE ARBOR NUT ON A DELTA 36-600 TABLE SAW
                        IS THE SAME. I HAVE AN EXTRA ALSO.

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • J & J Leight
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 23, 2005
                          Hi John,
                          Are you sure it's the same as the left handed one on the SawSmith ?
                          After all I went through looking for something that fit, I can't believe it. Is that Delta Saw common? If so I'll look for one of those. If they aren't.....what would you want for your extra one?
                          Jim

                          --- J & J Leight <jleight@...> wrote:

                          > Jon,
                          > I've been looking for a while and even tried a
                          > couple metal shops to see if they could make one.
                          > Unfortunately all the research I've done has come up
                          > with that they were originally produced around the
                          > time of Metric, SAE, ACME, and there were other
                          > names I can't remember right now and a few different
                          > size threads for aircraft and in Europe were all
                          > trying to become a World Standard. So it was unsure
                          > exactly which thread it was supposed to be but I
                          > think it was one the owner made up on his own.
                          >
                          > This size thread seems to be a standard 5/8" except
                          > the threads are not as narrow as a normal thread is,
                          > they are wider but with the points cut off at the
                          > height a normal thread would have points. I've
                          > bought a 5/8" left handed die to see if I could
                          > re-thread the arbor on my Saw Smith and I couldn't
                          > get it more than a half turn maybe 3/4. It seems to
                          > want to cut on both sides of each of the threads
                          > when I took a close look at it. I called A LOT of
                          > places and most say it was a special thread the
                          > owner used on the saw and wasn't a standard thread
                          > for anything else. Being so Proprietary it made sure
                          > no other attachments or accessories from anyone else
                          > could be bought and used on these saws. So Do what I
                          > do and keep checking Ebay and other auctions that
                          > are out there hoping to find one.
                          > Hope this helps.
                          > Jim

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          Hobby magazine Hobby store Hobby supply

                        • Richard Woelffer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 23, 2005
                            If John is correct, and I am not saying he is not, you can purchase the nuts and a flange if you need one direct from Delta.

                            http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/ServiceNet/logon.asp

                            The tablesaw model DELTA 36-600 TABLE SAW is there and the nut and flange are both available for under $10.00 total plus shipping. You have to create an account to login.

                            Remember that Delwat purchased Delta, hence the URL above.

                            Have not ordered it....

                            Rich.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 24, 2005
                              I have a Delta 36-630 10" contractor saw and I took
                              the nut off of it and screwed right on the arbor. I've
                              been told that all the "belt drive" Contractor saws
                              use the same nut. I'll look for the reciept and send
                              you guys the part#. If I remember the shipping was
                              more than the nut. Only $2 or $3 dollars. Ask around.
                              And try it. Someone you know probably has one of the
                              saws. They are very common. Mid range price table saw.

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Donald Smith
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 24, 2005
                                On www.deltamachinery.com the explosed view of the 36-600 says the nut is a 5/8-18 which does not fit. but the same site for the 36-630 does not say the size just that it is left hand nut. the part number there is 902-01-200-9848. There is a Delta dealer in North Kansas City, Mo. If anyone lives close to that. grandpadon47@...

                                John Wiberg <seabrightjw@...> wrote:I have a Delta 36-630 10" contractor saw and I took