Testing motor?

  • heathicus.geo
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
      I just picked up a rust bucket of a Sawsmith for spare parts for $25.  See pictures in the album "Heath's Sawsmith."  I have no idea if the motor works or not as there is no power cord.  Any advice for testing out the motor?
    • heathicus.geo
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
        Got the motor off and saw the cord had been cut right at the housing and pushed inside. My assumption was the motor was toast. But I tested it by stripping back a little of each wire, sticking them into the end of an extension cord and quickly plugging the extension cord in and pulling it back out. I didn't expect anything good to happen, but to my surprise, the motor turned! I held in the extension cord plugged in for a few seconds and the motor spun up just as pretty as could be! There was a high pitched whine as it got to full speed, so it might need new bearings, but I'm very pleased!
      • windgooroo1@att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
          Ahem..... I think this is what I suggested when you started on this quest? At issue is the quality of insulation on the stator winding leads - red and black as I recall - which is extremely iffy at best, bad is more like it. I managed to strip just enough insulation (or what passes for it) on my motor to allow a solder repair, then managed to position shrink tube well enough to completely protect the conductors. Been running my fixed motor for about 2 years now with no issues. Knock on wood. This problem only seems to affect one motor make and not the other.

          FYI, I also disassembled the motor, cleaned and greased the bearings, or maybe it’s a bearing and a bushing, and the thing is quiet and smooth. I was quoted $1,200. to rewind the motor. =(:>o

          Sent from Windows Mail

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
            As you probably read in my previous post, which had to do with another member getting his motor running, there is very probably an issue with the stator leads that run from the capacitor into the motor housing. You can check this out by careful disassembly, but really be cautious with those little bitty wires with the petrified insulation! If you get to the point of testing it, be sure and clamp it in some kind of a fixture because of the torque reaction. The SS motors are unique and there is no modern replacement.

            Sent from Windows Mail

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
              Sorry for the double reply!

              Sent from Windows Mail

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013

                I think you may have me confused with someone else, but I still appreciate that information! I have not disassembled my first motor,  but I'll crack open this second one and look at the insulation on the leads. If it looks necessary, and I think I can pull it off, I might try the same procedure you did.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2013
                  Yep, I did! Anyway, this is how I ended up with 3 motors and experience. Have mercy.

                  Sent from Windows Mail