Re: [sawsmith] Sawsmith motor

  • Jim Hoggard
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
      I looked at A saw last week in Branson, I was told that it worked, the rest of the saw was pretty rough
      and not all there, he wanted 60.00 for it. I think it was on craigslist.
      Jim

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
        So did the motor smoke, or just stop? There is a relay in the housing, and that could have gone, leaving the motor intact. Not replaceable, but maybe a workaround could be found. The motor is a special one, and not easily replaced, unless you find a parts saw.
        You can find a parts list and wiring diagram in this publication:

        Good luck.

        --
        Jim Johnson
      • djwatts40
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
          The Sawsmith motor is unique in some respects, but you may be able to
          bring yours back to life. The motor shell is unique; other parts are,
          in general, pretty standard. If you can find a used motor with the same
          frame and voltage rating and with the same horsepower that is in running
          condition you can probably transplant parts from the running motor into
          the Sawsmith shell. A motor repair shop might be able to get
          replacement parts, but they will be spendy. You first need to find out
          what cooked. The windings can be redone by a repair facility, but again
          it gets pricy. If you need help you can nearly always get it here.
          Good luck!

        • windgooroo1@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
            Not sure what motor shop rates are in your neck of the woods, but I was quoted only $750.00 to rewind my motor. Eeeek! Are you sure it’s the motor and not the capacitor or power cord? I was able to resolder a burnt connection and put on new insulating jacket on the fix in my motor. Fortunately it wasn’t a problem deep within the windings.

            Matt

            Sent from Windows Mail

            The Sawsmith motor is unique in some respects, but you may be able to
            bring yours back to life. The motor shell is unique; other parts are,
            in general, pretty standard. If you can find a used motor with the same
            frame and voltage rating and with the same horsepower that is in running
            condition you can probably transplant parts from the running motor into
            the Sawsmith shell. A motor repair shop might be able to get
            replacement parts, but they will be spendy. You first need to find out
            what cooked. The windings can be redone by a repair facility, but again
            it gets pricy. If you need help you can nearly always get it here.
            Good luck!

            --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "tczar4520" wrote:

            > Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement motor for a Sawsmith.
            Mine just cooked itself. Any help is appreciated.

            > Thanks,

          • Carl Finch
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
              At 02:32 PM 8/23/2013, tczar4520 wrote:

              >Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement motor for a Sawsmith.
              >Mine just cooked itself. Any help is appreciated.

              What do you mean by "cooked?" Did a cloud of acrid smoke pour out of
              the casing? Or does the saw blade simply not turn? In other words,
              what are the specific symptoms of your problem? What have you
              investigated and discovered, or ruled out?

              Carl Finch