looking for a replacment belt

  • steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
      could anyone here help me in locating a new belt for my saw. i have been looking for about a year on and off but it seems to be hard to find. guess this is what i get for letting my dad use this old saw when he doesn't do much wood work, lol.

      thanks ,

      Steve
    • steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
        --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <shegedusii@...> wrote:

        > could anyone here help me in locating a new belt for my saw. i have been looking for about a year on and off but it seems to be hard to find. i know its magna part #503.257 as that is what is printed on the belt. it measures apox 11/16 x 4 5/8. and i know its a wariable speed belt. guess this is what i get for letting my dad use this old saw when he doesn't do much wood work, lol.
        >
        > thanks ,
        >
        > Steve

      • grandpadon47
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
          Steve: Welcome,
           Have you looked thru the messages? Shopsmith quit selling them last I heard. A few of the members are using the link belt system. You might find that on Amazon and Grizzley, I have not heard of any automotive supply having one.
          If you do find one that works please let us all know.
            grandpadon in Missouri

          > could anyone here help me in locating a new belt for my saw. i have been looking for about a year on and off but it seems to be hard to find. i know its magna part #503.257 as that is what is printed on the belt. it measures apox 11/16 x 4 5/8. and i know its a wariable speed belt. guess this is what i get for letting my dad use this old saw when he doesn't do much wood work, lol.
          >
          > thanks ,
          >
          > Steve

        • Matt Callan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013
            Steve
              I have converted all belt run tools in my shop to link belts, they just run smoother.  However, my saw smith still has the original belt that it came with when my father purchased it in the 60s and the speed device still works just fine.  Blades are hard to get, so I just keep sharpening the few that I have.  On the link belts, just make sure that you point them the correct direction or it will vibrate, kind of like going agenst the grain\, they are made to only run one direction.
            Thanks,
            Matt