Re: [sawsmith] Ripping on the RAS

  • Van Alston
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2013
      No way I would rip on the sawsmith unless it was built in and had stable infeed and outfeed benches.  My setup in Honduras is this way and I've done plenty of rips.

      -van

      On Jun 19, 2013, at 6:21 PM, windgooroo1@... wrote:

      I agree completely. I have a ShopSmith as well, which has many interchangeable bits and pieces, blades for instance. The inclination is to use blades from the SS table saw, since the arbors are the same, but you really have to be cautious when so doing. I almost never use the ShopSmith table saw either because it’s really a bugger to use a saw that requires moving the table up and down to adjust cuts instead of the blade. My “real” saw is a 1944 cast iron monster with lots of torque and even more stability - not perfect for doing lots of different widths, but excellent for cutting high footage. The SS is nice for doing fine detail work, but I wouldn’t dream of cutting anything big with it, but I’d do it before using the SawSmith, just the same. I’m trying to keep my fingers. 😊

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2013
        Really makes you wonder how and why they didn’t come up with an alternative ripping setup, doesn’t it? The tables are so critical on any kind of table saw, especially the outfeed.

        Sent from Windows Mail

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2013
          A-men.

          Sent from Windows Mail

          >I have been using a Saw Smith for over 30 years and found that
          >ripping can be done safely if you follow a few guidelines. At least
          >it works for me.
          >
          >1. USE THE RIGHT BLADE!! NEVER use a blade with a positive hook
          >angle and that is good advice for all RAS cutting. It minimizes the
          >chance of "lift off". I use a blade with a minus 5 degree hook angle
          >for ripping. Mine is a Freud 8 3/4" blade which is very close to the
          >9" blades originally used on the Saw Smith.
          >
          >2. Use a fence high enough to attach a block with a clamp and adjust
          >it so the board to be ripped will just pass under it. That is more
          >anti "lift off" protection.
          >
          >3. Adjust the blade guard and anti kickback pawl as low as possible
          >and still have space for the pawl to operate. The blade guard is
          >strong enough to stall the motor - learned before I knew enough to
          >give this advice.
          >
          >4. Make yourself a LONG push block and use it when you get close
          >enough to the end of the board you are ripping. The one I am
          >currently using is 16" long in front of a handle. That allows you to
          >push the piece being ripped past the saw blade while keeping your
          >parts that bleed well away from the blade.
          >
          >5. Use an outfeed table or roller to keep the work piece from
          >tipping up at the infeed end.
          >
          >Using these guidelines, I have never had a board try to come back at
          >me, but never stand behind one just the same!
          >
          >DON'T TRY TO RIP SHORT STUFF!!!
          >
          >Yeah, I know lots of RAS have blades with positive hook angles and
          >that is responsible for a lot of the horror stories. Stick to no
          >more than plus 5 degrees.

          Good list!

          I'd like to add to guideline 3: After lowering the guard as far as
          possible, set the pawl rod and TEST it by pushing the end of the
          workpiece under it an inch or so (motor off, of course), and then
          pulling it back to make sure that the pawl tips dig in and prevent
          you from withdrawing the piece. If set too low, the pawls won't dig
          in and can allow the piece to kick back, and if too high they may
          catch at first, but a hard pull may cause them to dig a bit, and then
          rotate under and free, losing their grip! The softness of the wood
          is a factor here, too. That's why this sort of test needs to made
          for each wood type.

          And to add to number 4: Keep out of the line of fire--do not stand
          directly behind the workpiece when pushing it through. Stand either
          to either side of the workpiece path.

          Carl Finch
          Medford, Oregon