Re: [sawsmith] Re: Finally picked up my Sawsmith!

  • Carl Finch
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2013
      At 09:55 AM 5/14/2013, heathicus.geo wrote:

      > > I've uploaded a sketch (Pedal 3) showing the two
      > > positions of the foot pedal, wheels-up and
      > > wheels-down, and a dashed arrow showing the path
      > > of the pedal as it goes from one to the
      > > other. It never goes near the screw heads.
      >
      >Ah, I see now! On mine, the casters are all the way down when the
      >pedals are completely vertical. Without looking, I'm guessing the
      >problem is how the cams are installed on the shaft. This shouldn't
      >be a difficult problem to resolve.
      >
      > > So if you haven't changed anything in
      > > reassembling the cabinet, then someone else did, previously!
      >
      >I have no idea how many previous owners this thing has had and
      >what's been done to it. The cabinet stand assembly instructions
      >shows the casters on the parts list and diagram, but doesn't mention
      >them in the actual instructions. So I assume they came already
      >assembled and installed on the side panels. In which case, they were
      >either assembled incorrectly at the factory, or a previous owner
      >took them apart and put them back together wrong.

      It's a bit hard for me to remember--being as it was 1964--but I know
      I had to assemble the individual cabinet panels, and I suspect it was
      I, not the factory, that did the caster assemblies as well. Once
      together it all had to be aligned, and finally, "for your first
      Sawsmith project," build those plywood drawers! (I notice the guy
      who built yours made a mistake and dadoed the *outside* of a couple
      drawer side panels--tsk, tsk! Perhaps he is the one who goofed on
      the foot pedals, too?!)

      Carl
      Medford, Oregon