Re: New saw

  • ted
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2012
      Thank you I will let you know

      Ted

      --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@... wrote:

      > Ted: Welcome to the group,
      >         As long as you have the 2 washers and the nut that goes with the saw any 10 inch blade should fit. The blade has to have the 5/8 center hole.
      >         Shopsmith sells adapters that fit the Sawsmith but then the blade guard may not work right.
      >         Let us know how you auction turns out and if you have any other questions.
      >         grandpadon in Missouri

    • Carl Finch
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2012
        At 07:50 AM 2/23/2012, ted wrote:

        >Hi all I am looking at a Yuba saw at auction and it looks to be in
        >good shape. But I hear their is trouble finding blades for it, Is
        >there a work around?

        As GrandpaDon explained, the saw has a standard 5/8" spindle, so the
        most commonly available blades fit. But for the blade GUARD to fit
        (and not be rubbed by the blade) you must add washers to the spindle
        before mounting the blade, in order to center it in the guard. Not a
        big deal, in my experience.

        However, the saw was delivered with a quick-mount/quick-release
        "arbor" that requires a blade with a 1.25" diameter hole. Once
        fitted into this arbor the blade is quickly slipped over the 5/8"
        spindle and secured by a set screw to the flat on the spindle. It's
        blades with 1.25" holes that are harder to find (I'm told).

        I've added 3 photos of the arbor and its assembly to my album
        ("Carl's Stuff") in our group's Photos area, or just click here:

        http://tinyurl.com/BladeArbor

        I apologize for the rust---haven't used that blade/arbor in decades,
        since buying a carbide-tipped one---with the 5/8" hole!

        --Carl Finch
        Medford, Oregon
      • DON WATTS
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2012
          A good selection of blades for the 1 1/4 inch arbor are available from Shopsmith.  They are a bit pricey, but excellent quality.  They also show up on Ebay regularly.
          I have a couple I would part with.

          www.shopsmith.com
        • ted
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
            Well I am now the proud owner of a 1963 Yuba saw! $75 at auction. Do you think this machine could be used as a over arm router?

            --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "ted" <digr54@...> wrote:

            > Thank you I will let you know
            >
            > Ted
            >
            > --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Ted: Welcome to the group,
            > >         As long as you have the 2 washers and the nut that goes with the saw any 10 inch blade should fit. The blade has to have the 5/8 center hole.
            > >         Shopsmith sells adapters that fit the Sawsmith but then the blade guard may not work right.
            > >         Let us know how you auction turns out and if you have any other questions.
            > >         grandpadon in Missouri

          • Van Alston
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
              Buy "Fun with a Saw" and prepare to be amazed.

              On Mar 2, 2012, at 10:18 PM, ted <digr54@...> wrote:

              Well I am now the proud owner of a 1963 Yuba saw! $75 at auction. Do you think this machine could be used as a over arm router?

              --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "ted" <digr54@...> wrote:

              > Thank you I will let you know
              >
              > Ted
              >
              > --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, grandpadon47@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Ted: Welcome to the group,
              > >         As long as you have the 2 washers and the nut that goes with the saw any 10 inch blade should fit. The blade has to have the 5/8 center hole.
              > >         Shopsmith sells adapters that fit the Sawsmith but then the blade guard may not work right.
              > >         Let us know how you auction turns out and if you have any other questions.
              > >         grandpadon in Missouri

            • Greg Gaal
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                I have used my SS in this router fashion twice, with the chuck attachment
                and a router bit or a Rotozip bit. The challenge I had at the time was
                given the cutting bit, being on an arm, could not take a huge amount of
                pressure while cutting else the bit/chuck/arm would push back. So I would
                recommend shallow cuts. Additionally, I may have been cutting a hardwood,
                so pine/poplar being softer will be easier to cut and shape..

                For a thin metal grommet to cover water pipes coming through the floor, I
                have inserted a Rotozip metal bit which cuts thin metal on the sides of what
                looks like a drill bit. One could not use the Rotozip itself as it requires
                a flat surface to brace the tool, so I was using the flat table top and a
                clamped fence to hold the grommet and lowered the bit into the center of the
                grommet in order to cut a slighter larger hole freehand.

                Here are suggested max router bit speeds: Bit Size & Max Speed (RPM)

                0-1"
                24,000

                0-2"
                18,000

                0-2 ½"
                16,000

                0-3 ½"
                12,000

                Thanks,

                Greg

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
                  Thanks for the info .Is there a chuck attachment available Yet?

                  --- In sawsmith@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Gaal" <greggaal@...> wrote:

                  > I have used my SS in this router fashion twice, with the chuck attachment
                  > and a router bit or a Rotozip bit. The challenge I had at the time was
                  > given the cutting bit, being on an arm, could not take a huge amount of
                  > pressure while cutting else the bit/chuck/arm would push back. So I would
                  > recommend shallow cuts. Additionally, I may have been cutting a hardwood,
                  > so pine/poplar being softer will be easier to cut and shape..
                  >
                  > For a thin metal grommet to cover water pipes coming through the floor, I
                  > have inserted a Rotozip metal bit which cuts thin metal on the sides of what
                  > looks like a drill bit. One could not use the Rotozip itself as it requires
                  > a flat surface to brace the tool, so I was using the flat table top and a
                  > clamped fence to hold the grommet and lowered the bit into the center of the
                  > grommet in order to cut a slighter larger hole freehand.
                  >
                  > Here are suggested max router bit speeds: Bit Size & Max Speed (RPM)
                  >
                  > 0-1"
                  > 24,000
                  >
                  > 0-2"
                  > 18,000
                  >
                  > 0-2 ½"
                  > 16,000
                  >
                  > 0-3 ½"
                  > 12,000
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Greg

                • DON WATTS
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Regarding the adaptor for router bits:  Shopsmith sells them for the Shopsmith and they work fine for the Sawsmith.  They are available for ¼ and ½" shank router bits.  If you don't do any heavy work you can get by with a drill chuck for the Shopsmith from them or, often, on Ebay.

                    I have used my Saw Smith (mine is two words) with router bits up to 3/4 inch.  Clamp the work firmly and take multiple shallow cuts.  I have better luck pushing the bit into the work than pulling it back.  The fence braces it that way.  You can also lock the carriage and rout along the fence; make sure the bit is forcing the wood into the fence and not pulling it away.  You have to have the table very well adjusted when routing by moving the carriage or the depth will not be consistent.  Not so critical when locking the carriage and using the fence to guide the work.

                    Good luck!
                  • ted
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 10, 2012
                      I got my New saw home today, everything seems to be working fine. I posted pics under"new saw". The plastic tips on the locking levers are gone and there is no scale on the mast. The saw must be setup for a left hander. Both nuts are there with a 5/8" hole in the saw blade. I see that Shopsmith sells router bit adaptors for both 1/2" and 1/4" bits for a reasonable price. Do you think when using for a overarm router I could do stiles and rails? And if I do there must be a way to lock the mast. And thanks for the help.

                      Ted